1991 325iC - Rear Cover Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 325iC - Rear Cover Questions

The previous owner of my newly acquired ride, converted the convertible top from automatic to manual operation. I think most of the parts are correct except they did not add the small rear spring/shocks to hold up the rear cover while you are folding down the top. I would like to add them.

I found a picture on this site of the lower bracket that I will need to weld / bolt - however, I need the part number to order one. Does anyone know this?

I also need to see what the upper shock mount looks like - can someone shoot me a picture of how the upper shock attaches to the cover?

Kinda some off the wall questions I realize, but thought I would give a try.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Mike
    Cary, NC
    Current Rides
    1991 325iC - For Sale
    2006 M3 Cabriolet
    Past Rides
    2000 323i Touring - Daily Driver
    1994 325is (S50) - Fast Car
    1998 Z3 - Fun Car
    1986 325e (i engine conversion)
    1969 Mustang Mach 1

I meant to grab a photo today but completely forgot, with the weather being 12 degrees and all. It's just two shocks and they clip onto the car like the one in the trunk does. ie, mine aren't like the one in your attached photo

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
      I meant to grab a photo today but completely forgot, with the weather being 12 degrees and all. It's just two shocks and they clip onto the car like the one in the trunk does. ie, mine aren't like the one in your attached photo
      And I think you guys are getting more snow today / tonight.

This is my winter project car so if / when it does warm up in CT, please shoot me a few pics of the lower and upper connection points so I can start piecing this thing back together correctly.
      Mike
      Cary, NC
      Current Rides
      1991 325iC - For Sale
      2006 M3 Cabriolet
      Past Rides
      1998 Z3 - Fun Car
      1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

Ok here's some photos. The plastic window was groaning the whole time but I cracked it last year so it's all good :up:

passenger side upper mount

passenger side lower mount

drivers side upper mount from the opposite angle (the cable goes to the trunk for some reason or another. I believe it's supposed to disable the trunk open mechanism but it totally doesn't)
        Last edited by Das Delfin; 02-01-2015, 02:31 PM. Reason: photo embed

Comment

That cable connects to a mechanism in the trunk that prevents the trunk from opening if the tonneau is open, or vice versa, to prevent damage to either. If yours doesn't do that, then it's broken. There's a cable that comes from the mech and connects to the trunk lid on the same side.
          '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
          '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
          '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

This would be a perfect question for an 3xxIC section.
            Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
            A Topless Memorandum

Comment

^YES! As for making it full manual it's a good idea. The gas shocks are IMO expensive though. I'll never understand why they cost so much?

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                ^YES! As for making it full manual it's a good idea. The gas shocks are IMO expensive though. I'll never understand why they cost so much?
                +2 stuff like this is perfect for an iC section. I don't think any other forum has one so everyone would flock to this one and it would be huge.

My shocks didn't work when I bought it, but after a year of holding the cover open with my shoulder I gave in and decided to pay the $30 each. And then bought the two smaller ones that go inside the top folding mechanism. And their sleeves. Because my old ones didn't fit well for some reason.

Comment

guys - thanks for the photos and the comments. I would also like to see a section devoted to Cabriolets. Now I just need to figure out how to buy or make the lower bracket that the spring / shock mounts to.
                  Mike
                  Cary, NC
                  Current Rides
                  1991 325iC - For Sale
                  2006 M3 Cabriolet
                  Past Rides
                  1998 Z3 - Fun Car
                  1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

Hey Mike. Good info on this thread but im just here to say hello from someone local. If your not aware, us local e30ers have a FB page NCE30. Look us up and get involved. Someone is probably right around the corner from you willing to give you a hand. :up:

COTM

Comment

... And then bought the two smaller ones that go inside the top folding mechanism. And their sleeves. Because my old ones didn't fit well for some reason.
                      So what exactly do these do? I'm sure mine are toast, but not sure if it would be worth the $$ to replace them? Do they help you lift the top? It's damned heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                        top lid shocks are like $5
                        2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                        (Daily Driver)
                        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                        KW V2 Coilovers
                        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Where?^^

Comment

Originally posted by Semblance View Post
                            So what exactly do these do? I'm sure mine are toast, but not sure if it would be worth the $$ to replace them? Do they help you lift the top? It's damned heavy.
                            That's exactly it - they help you lift the top. I got the sleeves from bavauto and the shocks themselves either came from pelican or bavauto.

They are part # 54 31 1 932 751 and the sleeves are 54 31 1 943 751. My old sleeves were too tight to use with the new shocks for some reason. Bavauto has the shocks for $40 each but I don't remember paying that much for them.

Comment

That's exactly it - they help you lift the top.....Bavauto has the shocks for $40 each but I don't remember paying that much for them.
                              Great info! I'll add this to the to-do list, it would be worth the 80 to save my back :) gettin old. I haven't seen them for less. And I have certainly never seen $5 tonneau shocks anywhere, would love to see a link to that. I paid about $25 each.

Poor OP, sorry for jacking the thread. We need a vert sub forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X