Squeaks and rattles coming from my manual top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeaks and rattles coming from my manual top

What's up folks, my most recent e30 is an 88 vert. The top is in very good shape but I need help adjusting the rear section of the top and the rear top cover (not sure if the correct name for it at the moment)

When I drive hear the cover rattling and I get a lot of squeaking noises from the rear passenger side frame. I have noticed that I am missing the very small spring located on the side. I also realize I need struts for the rear. Lastly I have a tear in my top caused by part of the locking mechanism scraping the top when I closed it. Obviously I wasn't careful, but I can tell some adjustments need to be made. I assume there is sort of an art to adjusting the top. I can't find anything online that speaks to my particular issue. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    O

My top squeaks too, over every bump, and my shocks are new so I don't believe they play a part in the squeak. In4 answer

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I think almost every vert makes some sort of squeaky/rattle noise when it comes to the top.

It comes with the territory of owning a 20+ year old car.
      "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
      The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

the most simple place to start here is at the bolts where the top actually connects to the body of the car. there are (i believe) 6 of them. 2 down and one "forward" on each side of the car. these have shims between the top frame and the body. adjustments to the top location in respect to the body can be made by adding/subtracting shims.
        from there, i would check each pivot bolt but be very careful since most of them are NLA.

additionally, i see your location is "Philly." i am located in northern NJ and i replace these tops, perform adjustments, make electronic tops work again etc.. if you are interested in getting the soft top replaced or having me perform the adjustments above, please let me know.

Comment

Working...
        X