Shakes, rattles, squeeks and squeels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shakes, rattles, squeeks and squeels

hi all. i recently picked up a 93 convertible and really enjoy driving it. while i was fully expecting to deal with noise in general, i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of it.
    are there any common areas that are worth addressing? would a strut brace or lower x brace help minimize any of this?
    control arms feel pretty tight so i imagine the bushings are fine. would lubing them up help?
    just need to figure out if i should put money towards quieting the cabin down, or in a sound system to help drown it all out

unrelated, but buy a raceland wind deflector. every vert needs one.
    sigpic
    @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
    Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Strut tower brace will definitely help. And ditto on the Raceland wind screen. Have one and I love it. It also give you a little deterrent for non-valuable items on your back seat. One thing you might want to do if you get the Raceland wind screen is to find some type of rubber protector to put on the brackets that sit in the seatbelt well.
      sigpic
      2007 X3
      1992 M Tech Cabrio
      1988 Cabrio - sold
      2001 X5 - sold
      1997 e36 328 - gave to son

Comment

thanks for the tip fellas. amazon wind deflector has been ordered.

Comment

I found the crossbrace helped get rid of a lot rattles/squeaks than a strut tower brace, and our strut towers are reinforced already from the factory.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

I glued lamb skin around the wind deflector tips that slide in the seat belt socket. And +1 on a strut brace
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

My cab with stiff ground control coilovers does the same thing. I have strut bar too, now going to upgrade to x brace. see what that does and wind deflectors work great. We are not talking b/s. got one my self.

Comment

X-brace did a lot, I'm very happy with mine. Next on my list is wind deflector and strut tower brace. Now if I could just make the windows rattle less...

Comment

a hard top does a lot.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Are we talking top up or top down noise?

I just re-did the vertical seals which are the seals that are attached to the rear windows and go upright between the front and rear windows. That cut down a ton of wind noise with the top up AND stopped a lot of rattle with the top down but the windows up (although not all as my windows need to be adjusted a bit).

I just installed my x-brace this weekend and drove it around Saturday with the top down. It really did minimize the cowl shake when I hit bumps. I have all stock rubber bushings with ground control suspension, nothing crazy stiff but it was definitely shaky before. For $180 and 20 minutes to install, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

It's apples to oranges but my wife's e30 vert with the hardtop on and pretty good original seals all around, is pretty damn quiet. It's probably quieter than most 25 year old hard tops I've been in.
                    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

thanks for the feedback all. i've just got word that the ujoint in the driveshaft is bad and is the source of some of the noise/vibes i've been experiencing. the car has an m50 with a getrag 260 and i'll need to source a replacement shaft. would that info be enough to ascertain what shaft/flange i need? i've read a few threads and the info seems to be flying over my head.

Comment

I have a strut brace in mine but no x brace; no rattles or squeaks.
                        '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Working...
                        X