Rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear suspension

This is my second e30 convertible. Both of the cars that I've had have sagged in the rear. They just set low in the rear for some reason. I would like to believe that they weren't always like this. This sagging causes causes negative camber on the rear tires. They wear noticeably faster on the inside. Am I correct in assuming that the only thing that can cause this is sagging rear springs? I also had a coupe and it didn't have this problem. I know the convertibles weigh considerably more though. Do the convertibles have different rear springs than the hardtops? I know I am in the minority here but I would like to keep my car at factory ride height. This is just my dd, not a track car. I have seen lowering springs all over the internet for my car but I have yet to find any stock height springs. Anyone know where I can get a set new?

Thanks

I believe that vert springs are different all the way around. That said I believe if you Google "e30 new stock springs source" or such, you will find an archived thread about this. And of course, search the classifieds on this site.

One thing you could do in the meantime is double up spring pads in the rear....

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I've heard that vert springs are all different from coupe springs

My H/R vert springs are the same as coupes on the front but the rears are stiffer to accomodate the increased weight

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

All e30 I have own always have less fender gap in the rear than the front. I believe it goes for all e30 but don't quote me for it. The uneven tires wear could also be worn trailer arm bushings.
        Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

rear cabrio springs are stiffer
          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

The front wheel arches on cabrios are actually higher than on hard tops so it really highlights the reverse rake. The only way to totally eliminate that is to drop the front. I have H&R Cabrio springs which are said to lower the front 1-1.25" And it needs all of that. A small drop in the rear just keeps it looking balanced IMO
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys. I know it's supposed to set a little low. The height isn't really what bothers me. It's the uneven tire wear. If I could just fix this I would be happy. Anyone know what could cause the camber problem on the rear? Is it trailing arm bushings. Mine seem fine. The car handles good and I don't get any rattles or anything like that.

Comment

I have Eibach Pro springs up front and coil overs in the back

'87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Working...
                X