Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ordered the vert specific Eibach Pro Kit Plus with sway bars and Koni yellows. Also ordered an x brace and skid plate from race skids. Hopefully she'll look and handle better!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
      man. all this shits so confusing. i wish i grew up with someone to teach me this stuff. learning from scratchhhh.
      it might seem like that till you get the jardon down.
      its basically just springs that lower and stiffen
      struts&shocks that just dampen the bouncing
      tophats which slightly lower the ride height
      bumpstops which stop struts from smash bottoming
      sway bars and links that stop leaning in turns
      then tires&rims
      Originally posted by der affe
      What are you going to start a thread about next? "My woman's skinny jeans chaffe my special parts, f*ck skin irritation"
      Originally posted by navid41691
      And no, I use lotion so I don't have to worry about skin irritation.
      '...rolling balls, i'm elated, i'm going dumb now; drinking liquor i'm faded and having fun now; loaded gun and tripping with everyone around; keep me stuck in the sky, i never wanna come down...'...kabosh

Comment

Originally posted by WhyNot View Post
        it might seem like that till you get the jardon down.
        its basically just springs that lower and stiffen
        struts&shocks that just dampen the bouncing
        tophats which slightly lower the ride height
        bumpstops which stop struts from smash bottoming
        sway bars and links that stop leaning in turns
        then tires&rims
        -IE's 25mm/22mm swaybars will stop bouncing even with oem suspension. ., opps, i'll retract that statement. car did bounce a whole lot.
        Last edited by fporro; 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I've been on cosmo coilovers.. They are completely topped out for ride height and it's as low as I want to go. I don't want the car slammed... and these things are pretty stiff.

I've been doing a lot less auto-x, I think I will switch to something that's a little softer and rides higher.. going back to stock style springs for the front will require replacing the front struts. :/
          Maybe I'll see if I can find a source for new 2.5" springs that are hopefully a bit taller. I like the adjustability.. but to be honest I'm not 100% confident in this setup, the collars are all aluminum and just slapped in there, seems a little half-assed.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
          If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

I have been running full Ground Control coilovers for almost a week now with corner balancing and alignment for street/track from Rhom Innovations and I'm super happy with the setup. It's firm but not jarring and the rebound is excellent.
            1989 325iC Zinnoberrot

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
              I've been on cosmo coilovers.. They are completely topped out for ride height and it's as low as I want to go. I don't want the car slammed... and these things are pretty stiff.

I've been doing a lot less auto-x, I think I will switch to something that's a little softer and rides higher.. going back to stock style springs for the front will require replacing the front struts. :/
              Maybe I'll see if I can find a source for new 2.5" springs that are hopefully a bit taller. I like the adjustability.. but to be honest I'm not 100% confident in this setup, the collars are all aluminum and just slapped in there, seems a little half-assed.

my H&R are topped out too with tender (red) and 300lbs main springs.
              i like using nylon washers so there's less binding, also have AFCO's thrust bearings.

GC / Eibach have springs from 3" to 8" free lenght and 80 to 900+ lbs and http://www.ground-control-store.com/...set=100&CA=212

copied this from e30tech.com ...

Spring---------------------Front(lb/in.)-------------Rear(lb/in.)

Stock 325i*-----------------------106------------------------245
              Stock 325is*----------------------118------------------------265
              Stock 325ix*----------------------106------------------------308
              Stock M3*-------------------------114------------------------314
              Stock M3--------------------------140------------------------250
              Dinan Sport-----------------------172------------------------300
              H&R OE Sport---------------------180------------------------380
              H&R Sport-------------------------180------------------------380
              H&R Sport (29664)---------------200------------------------285
              H&R Race-------------------------315------------------------ 570
              H&R Coilovers***----------------340------------------------380
              Eibach Pro-Kit--------------------102-------------------------277
              Eibach Race----------------------160-------------------------445
              IE SIII----------------------------315-------------------------570 [Group Buy - $285]
              Koni Coilovers-------------------342-------------------------407
              Cosmo Coilovers----------------450-------------------------560
              Tokico----------------------------165-------------------------265
              TMS J-Stock**-------------------680------------------------1026
              Alpina(est.)---------------------~200-----------------------~350
              FK 60/60 cup kit-----------------379--------------------------379
              Vogtland Standard***--------115/197-----------------------360
              Vogtland CS***---------------137/200-----------------------400
              Vogtland--------------------------225--------------------------360
              Intrax-----------------------------126--------------------------250
              Apex: --- ---
              KW: --- ---
              Spax: --- ---

Last edited by fporro; 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fporro View Post
                my H&R are topped out too with tender (red) and 300lbs main springs.
                i like using nylon washers so there's less binding, also have AFCO's thrust bearings.

GC / Eibach have springs from 3" to 8" free lenght and 80 to 900+ lbs and http://www.ground-control-store.com/...set=100&CA=212

copied this from e30tech.com ...

Spring---------------------Front(lb/in.)-------------Rear(lb/in.)

Stock 325i*-----------------------106------------------------245
                Stock 325is*----------------------118------------------------265
                Stock 325ix*----------------------106------------------------308
                Stock M3*-------------------------114------------------------314
                Stock M3--------------------------140------------------------250
                Dinan Sport-----------------------172------------------------300
                H&R OE Sport---------------------180------------------------380
                H&R Sport-------------------------180------------------------380
                H&R Sport (29664)---------------200------------------------285
                H&R Race-------------------------315------------------------ 570
                H&R Coilovers***----------------340------------------------380
                Eibach Pro-Kit--------------------102-------------------------277
                Eibach Race----------------------160-------------------------445
                IE SIII----------------------------315-------------------------570 [Group Buy - $285]
                Koni Coilovers-------------------342-------------------------407
                Cosmo Coilovers----------------450-------------------------560
                Tokico----------------------------165-------------------------265
                TMS J-Stock**-------------------680------------------------1026
                Alpina(est.)---------------------~200-----------------------~350
                FK 60/60 cup kit-----------------379--------------------------379
                Vogtland Standard***--------115/197-----------------------360
                Vogtland CS***---------------137/200-----------------------400
                Vogtland--------------------------225--------------------------360
                Intrax-----------------------------126--------------------------250
                Apex: --- ---
                KW: --- ---
                Spax: --- ---
                great link man, nice.
                Something else I should mention, the IE3's rode much nicer. I'd have kept them if they didn't drop the car so much. They are a progressive rate spring (similar to most stock style springs). The cosmo's are a linear spring, they're just as stiff from the onset as they are in a 2" dip. We're getting into a subjective area on this one.. gonna have to call the GC guy I before ordering. This will be the fourth set of springs..
                Just remember to beef up the rear rates especially on verts. Some of those on the chart are just scary.. the vogtlands had the rear bottoming out if anyone sat back there.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Why the different M3 rates? With or without AC or North American vs. Europe? I like my height and ride with M3 springs (and KYB's) but I don't know which ones I have.
                  Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster Inc View Post
                    I'm sure it reads somewhere... but I'm too blind.
                    What size are the rims and tires???

Comment

likely Ronal/ACT LS's. they are 15x7.5
                      tires are likely 225/50/15
                      Originally posted by flyboyx
                      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

It would be interesting to see the stock 325ic spring rates and the "H&R SPORT CABRIO 50407" spring rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                          likely Ronal/ACT LS's. they are 15x7.5
                          tires are likely 225/50/15
                          Thanks.

Big difference compared to stock 14" weaves and 195/65 tires

When I had the pair of 88s with stock suspension. Forget the rims size maybe 15".

Comment

Originally posted by georgE30 View Post
                            It would be interesting to see the stock 325ic spring rates and the "H&R SPORT CABRIO 50407" spring rates.
                            IIRC the 50407s are 180/380 (or very close)
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Thanks for the info. So why does H&R market cabrio specific springs if they have the same spring rates as the sport springs?

Your zino looks great with the e90 drop hats btw.

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                              IIRC the 50407s are 180/380 (or very close)

Comment

Originally posted by georgE30 View Post
                                Thanks for the info. So why does H&R market cabrio specific springs if they have the same spring rates as the sport springs?

Your zino looks great with the e90 drop hats btw.
                                Thanks. I threw the drop hats in when I replaced the blown inserts with BS Touring struts (essentially stock replacements) and honestly it did not seem to make much difference so I cant say they contribute a lot to the stance compared to what the new setup does.

Its possible that H&R misquoted me on the rates but I also think mfgs use terms like "sport" or "OE" rather liberally so what may be a sport spring rate fior one model may just be a lowering spring for another. I think you can also have different height springs with the same rate so I wouldn't put too much faith in names and numbers.

What I do know is that the more I drive on this setup the more I like it. I believe the springs are "relaxing" as they seem more "progressive" and not as harsh as they did at first. I drove a friends 2011 135iC the other day and while it has gobs of power the ride was very "distant" and was not half the fun of my e30. I also rode in a brand spanking new Avalon Hybrid yesterday and while its a helluva lot of car for the $44k sticker I cant imagine DDing it or the 135.

Has me wondering if there is a new car out there that I would buy as opposed to taking one of my e30's and throwing a stupid amount of cash at it ;-)
                                Last edited by jeffnhiscars; 05-25-2013, 04:30 AM.
                                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                                Alice the Time Capsule
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                                X