Hard top vinyl repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard top vinyl repair

Does anyone have any advice on how to repair the corners of the vinyl? Maybe a glue to get it back down and then some over the top as a "clear coat"?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4907.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.1 KB ID:	9873894

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4904.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	9873895

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4906.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.7 KB ID:	9873896
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4905.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	9873897

I'd just glue it unless you are going to replace it all. I think that it would look worse with a patch on top..matching faded fabric and texture.

Comment

Yeah, luckily its in great shape everywhere else except the corners, so its not really noticeable when its on the car. I'd just like to stop it from getting worse. I'm going to buy some HH-66 vinyl cement, says its drys clear.

Comment

That cement will do it for sure ( I researched it plenty). I have some, but have not used it - decided on contact cement for the interior work I'm doing.

Comment

Good to know, Ive been thinking of redoing the canvas/vinyl on my hardtop.

Can anyone recommend which canvas/vinyl to use? I've been thinking about this:

Ottertex® Canvas Waterproof fabric is a durable fabric with a PVC backing that can be used both indoors and outdoors for upholstery, awnings, bags & furniture.

sigpic

Comment

If you do it, I, and probably many others, would love to see photos, process, etc. My hard top had a small ding on the roof and has a couple of small frayed edges and I have been able to artistically use Permatex Black to keep the old material in place / secure it, and being a dull matte black when it dries it can mask any tiny spots where you may see the yellowing fiberglass that could be peeking out. It has been a relatively easy solution for me and looks good at arms length, but my hardtop has no bad rips or frays.

You could always strip all the material and fill and nicks and then repaint it like many people have, quite a commitment though. I'm an originalist and do like the original look of the textured fabric/covering, though. Good luck!
            1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Working...
            X