Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft top does not properly tuck in on passenger side

Hello all,

I seem to have an issue with my '90 vert. The soft top does not correctly tuck in inside the compartment, passenger side sticks out for about 1-2cm causing the lid to not properly close on that side. One of the bars won't budge downwards and it sticks out.
    I must mention I have the motor disconnected as I have the infamous motor pivot arm failure so I am forced to manually tuck the top.

It seems many users encountered this issue, but I cannot find a posted solution.

Pics would definitely help. Our tops don't always fold correctly if the tension straps are installed incorrectly or worn out. Can't visualize the bar sticking out.

Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Comment

Will do tomorrow morning (EET time here), thanks for the quick response.

Comment

So I've found out what was the culprit.

PO(s) managed to bend one of the hinges in the right side so one of the other arms of the soft top could not pass it on its way further down. I think it's bent and it's not something else, I could not find a proper photo of that particular location on the internet so far.

I cannot imagine how that hinge could have gotten bent and now I gotta find a way to straighten it out without damaging something else. Any advice ?

Also, it seems the lid has deformed as it was forced to close over the not-properly-tucked soft top. Any chance of straighten it back ? And how ?

Comment

Hopefully your boot lid is not bent. I have to work hard to get my top fully stowed. Otherwise it looks like yours when closed (gap on one side). When I get the top fully stowed, the boot lid closes correctly with no gaps, so hopefully you will have the same experience when you figure out how to get your top fully stowed.

Cory
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Working...
          X