DIY E36 (Possible E46) Backlit Gauge Cluster Needle Retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY E36 (Possible E46) Backlit Gauge Cluster Needle Retrofit

heres my late E36 (possibly E46 needles could be used as they look the same) backlit needle retrofit.

first remove the old needles fron the cluster very carefully by pulling from the front. then remove the remaining splined part leaving only the small pin in the middle.

on to the retrofit, firstly the shaft of the speedo needle must be shortened slightly as it fouled on the cluster lense so i put 2 small spacers on the lense, one on top and one on bottom. top slightly larger than bottom. i spaced the top of the lense out by about 5mm and bottom out by about 3mm, still able to mount the cluster to the stock holes in the dash just a bit tighter. even tho there is no backlight for the needles in the E30 they still catch the light from the bottom of the cluster and look as if they are backlit at night. also u will have to lightly clamp the fittings on the E36 needles so they grip the pins on the E30 cluster as the pins in the E36 cluster are slightly larger.

so anyway here we go, the completed late E36 needle retrofit with my previously installed chrome bezels:

Currently E30-less

- EthosMotorsports.com
Working...
X