No announcement yet.

DIY - E36 window switch retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I come and steal the body controller and switches?

I won't be able to pay for them, but will help you do something?

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Luke do you own your own bussiness

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
      I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
      "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

Anyone ran into the color pattern I have? I'm kinda lost at this point and my harness is all cut up :p
        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by franco90 View Post
          Luke do you own your own bussiness
          Well, kind of. I closed my shop last november, now I am just freelancing until the wife and I get settled.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BDSax View Post
            i went through the shit load of e36 switch i have gotten and figured out what did what.

E30 Switch:

Window Up 1 - Black or (Black/Grey)
            Positive (+) 3 - Green/Grey
            Negitive (-) 4 - Brown
            Negitive (-) 5 - Brown
            7 - Black Yellow (i had this, it did nothing)
            Window Down 8 - Purple

The e30 switch is very confusing...... there are tabs that come from the up and down leads and its always touching, im guessing it has more resistence the more it is pushed down.
            I tried to go from Power (Green/Grey) to the down lead (Purple) and it blew the curcuit. so im guessing it controlls the amount of voltage? thats what im confused about.
            n

There are 3 different White Basee switches that i had, please check your colors. the Numbers on the switches still all lined up.

E36 White Base #1:

Negitive (-) 1 - Brown
            Window Down 3 - Black/Yellow
            Window Up 4 - Blue/Green
            Positive (+) 5 - Red/Brown

E36 White Base #2:

Negitive (-) 1 - Brown
            Window Down 3 - Purple/Grey
            Window Up 4 - Black/Grey
            Positive (+) 5 - Red/Brown

E36 White Base #3:

Negitive (-) 1 - Brown
            Window Down 3 - Black
            Window Up 4 - Green
            Positive (+) 5 - Red

here is a little update on this upgrade. i started working on this swap today a found out a few things. i have the white base switches from a 4 door. i had the three wiring harnesses listed above on my plugs plus a fourth type.

e36 white base #4

ground(-)1 - brown
            window down 3 - violet
            window up 4 - black
            positive(+) - red/brown

also for the e30, i have a 91 vert. as stated above, the e30 window switch has 5 wires whereas the white base e36 switches have 4 wires.

here is how to keep them straight:(at least in the case of my car)

there are two browns that are ground and these can be connected together to terminal 1 ground (or negative as stated above)

all of the e30 power window wires on my car are a variation of a solid color with a colored strip. this is to say that all 4 switches have a black wire and a violet wire for the up/down function. however, 3 of the 4 have a colored stripe. the blacks are up and the violets are down.

all four e30 switches have a green/gray wire for positive power in. these need to be soldered to the e36 brown/reds

since my car has the power cutout button, i swapped in this switch from the 4 door e36. the e30 switch has 2 wires. both a variation of green with a stripe. the e36 cutout switch has 3 wires. two greens with stripe and one brown/red. to make this switch work, you need to connect one of the e30 greens to one of the e36 greens and the other e30 green to the brown/red on the e36 switch. the second green wire on the e36 switch will be left unused.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

can you upload the pics again, Josh?
              Originally posted by e30e
              lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer_E30 View Post
                can you upload the pics again, Josh?
                Seconding this, but maybe use something less shitty than photobucket, like imageshack.us instead?

Comment

moved photobucket folder...

Comment

So, I hooked up a small white base (1-touch down) window switch. It illuminated, but no matter which way I hooked up the signal wires would not do crap to the window. It seems these were meant to use relays or something as the gauge of the signal wire is a lot smaller than the E30 ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                      So, I hooked up a small white base (1-touch down) window switch. It illuminated, but no matter which way I hooked up the signal wires would not do crap to the window. It seems these were meant to use relays or something as the gauge of the signal wire is a lot smaller than the E30 ones.
                      They go to the window controller module, which has internal drivers for the motors that the switches control. You won't get anywhere using just the late-style switches.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

Anyone have a wiring guide for hooking up the e36 window lock switch to replace the stock one?

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          They go to the window controller module, which has internal drivers for the motors that the switches control. You won't get anywhere using just the late-style switches.
                          Yeah, so basically extensive modification if I want to give it a shot. Then again, I wouldn't mind 1-touch windows... is it just a single module for all of the windows or do they each get an individual module?

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                            Anyone have a wiring guide for hooking up the e36 window lock switch to replace the stock one?
                            Uh... seriously? Both lock switches have two wires, unless you've got a crazy E36 switch that I'm not aware of, it doesn't matter which way you orient them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                              Uh... seriously? Both lock switches have two wires, unless you've got a crazy E36 switch that I'm not aware of, it doesn't matter which way you orient them.
                              The E36 switch I got has 3 wires :???:

I guess i could just try experimenting.

Comment

Has anyone integrated the e36 one touch module? I'll have to pull out my e36 manual and look at how crazy the schematics are.

Comment

Working...
                                X