Upgrading to Parallel Flow Condenser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
    Alright I finally got my PF condensor in about 2 weeks ago. When I installed it, I also replaced the external rubber lines, new 2200 cfm aux fan, new o-rings all around, new dryer, new R-134 expansion valve, flushed the old oil in the entire system out, and put in a total of 6oz of PAG oil in their respected places. The setup works great. It was 98 the day I had the new setup vacuumed and recharged. It was nice and cool, even just sitting in the parking lot. I haven't had a chance to stick a thermo in the vents to see what it says, but I stay cool during the day and ice cold at night. The new setup took 1 lb 8oz of R-134. I believe it requires 2 more ounces if I recall right.

I'm in the process of making a DIY, so I'll post that soon for everyone.

I wanted to wait a little while before updating to make sure I didn't have any issues related to the new parts. So far none other than what seems like either a bad compressor clutch or maybe the compressor itself. Basically the coldest my AC gets is at 3k+ rpms. Doesn't matter if I'm sitting in a parking lot or blasting down the highway.
    Mine get cold starting above 800-rpm at speed 2 fan and circulation button on or off at 45-50c. Anything above speed 2 fan won't blow cold,well for me not sure about you.

Comment

Mine is plenty cold all the way to 4. Problem is the E30 doesn't exactly have the best ventilation. IE doesn't blow enough.

Also mine is black on black without any tint. So it can be a losing battle occasionally.

Comment

still blowing cold to this day! I love it!
        1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
        2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
        2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
          still blowing cold to this day! I love it!
          same here but i do need to get tint.

Comment

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
            1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
            2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
            2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Thank you for posting this, i was about 5 seconds away from purchasing an old tube/fin style replacement before realized i should check the r3v to make sure it's the right move. Now I'll be calling the non-english speaking lady on Monday, wish me luck.

Comment

Originally posted by immajackuup View Post
                Me as well! :hitler:

Comment

Called supremecondensers.com and they guy answered the phone was obviously from India. He had to call me back 3 times because first he had to check stock, then he had to ask if i wanted it, then he had to check the price, then call me back, then he had to check on shipping then call me back. He wants $160ish shipped. Sounds like way more than everyone else paid just a few months ago. WTF, just bad luck?

Comment

says item is no longer available, can you send me a current listing? all the condensers on ebay seems to be tube/fin or serp setups.

Comment

nice find! i was scouring ebay for a parallel flow, not sure how i missed this one.

Comment

Is there a manufacturer and part # for the condenser you guys used? Supremecondensers.com has shut down. Thanks
                        sigpic

Comment

See my post above. That guy has since gone up $100 in price so I went looking today as my new E30 has a defunct AC system.

Vista Pro makes a PF condenser (PN: 6590) for E30s. The pic that partsgeek.com shows is exactly the same as the two I have in my possession I bought from the seller I posted above. So I think they're made by Vista Pro.

Rockauto has it for $115 shipped.

And for all those interested, I made a write up for my little FB E30 group. LMK if anyone can actually read it. It includes PNs and oil viscosities for each model of compressor.

If you own an E30 and you're in Corpus/Houston/Austin (#dealwithit), hit us up. >Group under construction<.

Comment

Awesome, thanks man! Yea I wasn't sure about that seller since it was so expensive, and the part # is an interchange part # referring to a serpentine type? :/

I don't think rockauto is the right part, because the picture matches this one:

And the seller for that one confirmed with APDI that it is a serpentine type, not parallel flow.

So partsgeek it is. There isn't a difference between 318 and 325's condensers is there?
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X