Modifying E30s: A Starters Guide for Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tvan
    yea, according to Bentley Publishing, my car doesn't exist.
    nor do cars with airbags (or airbag-model pedal boxes for that matter)
    R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

I didn't read the whole guide... but all I'll say is do all the maintance on your E30... replace everything that needs to be replaced... it will feel MUCH better! even if you have an auto :(
      sigpic

Comment

You might also add a front strut bar in the suspension section. I felt a notable difference, and it's fairly cheap and easy to install. Worth noting I'd say.

'88 325is
        VP UT of Austin Autoholics
        BMWCCA 380364

Comment

in bentleys engine removal explaination they completely neglect the transmission, they dont even point you to a transmission removal page or anything.

they dont have the radiator support style that my car has in it.

so in general its pretty good, mixed with a little common sense its better though
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
            in bentleys engine removal explaination they completely neglect the transmission, they dont even point you to a transmission removal page or anything.

they dont have the radiator support style that my car has in it.

so in general its pretty good, mixed with a little common sense its better though

Probably because you can remove engine and tranny complete and spend less time then separating/reinstalling them.

Comment

Thanks Rob!

Heya! (Just joined the boards)

Thanks for the good read Rob, it helps to put things back into realistic and practical perspective. I'm currently looking over buying a '1992 320i Cab', which has the 2.0l I6, amazing conditon with 60,000 orig. km. As you and other mentioned from your post, I likewise found the moment I started looking for information on modifications for the car, that everyone pushes "Engine Swaps" and all sorts of parts when really, not much is needed to make the car fun to drive! (So I can't beat that Mustang next to me......I've still got more style :P)

The only work that I might look at doing given all the comments I've seen, feel free to provide your honest opinion, is it seems not too bad of an idea to investigate changing the car from the 4 Spd Auto., to a 5 Spd. Manual, sounds like cost under $2000 (CDN) and big increase in "Fun Factor".

Anyways, thanks again Rob, helps to put things in perspective...

(I currently have a 2001 Z3 3.0....but payments are high, it lacks practicality, and being in my early 20's, gives people the assumption that I'm some 'rich kid', rather than the guy that busted balls through university to finally get a decent job...........E30 Vert feels more classy, fun to drive, and less expensive!)

Comment

bump for great thread

Rob - over the years, i've pretty much made your post my project's mission statement - and i couldn't be happier for doing so.

Cheers
                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I will add this. A good set of tires will do wonders for any car. I have seen tons of people dump thousands of dollars into suspension and brakes only to give slightly better performance. When all they really needed was a sticky tire.

Yes you can go out on a set of all seasons and have a decent bit of fun. But something like an rt615, kuhmo MX, or dirreza star spec will make a night and day difference in the amount of grip you have.

They obviously will cost a lot more than a normal tire, but what you get back from them on your favorite track, autox event, or back road is worth it.
                  If in doubt... Flat out

Comment

I recomend the factory repair manual, you can download from pirate sources.
                    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                    BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
                    BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
                    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

I am a bit of a NOOB... Learned to drive stick when i was 12 on an e30, just bought an e30
                      thanks for the write up... allot of good info i could use
                      im ordering Bentley's right now haha

I feel like if i owned any other make of car this thread would look more along the lines of:
                      EXHAUST- BLAH BLAH BAHHH
                      INTAKE- " " "" ""
                      TURBOCHARGING- 30 PSI AHHH BALLS
                      SUPERCHARGING-
                      SUSPENSION- 3 IN DROP ON AIR BAG SUSPENSION!

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC View Post
                        You might also add a front strut bar in the suspension section. I felt a notable difference, and it's fairly cheap and easy to install. Worth noting I'd say.

X2. In Germany I had a 535 with a strut tower bar. I took it off and drove around, then put it back on and drove the same route. A HUGE difference.

I agree with what's already been said, tires, driver HPDE, etc. Much more beneficial than "power" mods. That being said, I do love the sound of a nice I/E combo....

Comment

Good looking out man, this was actually some good help for me. I have only had her for about two weeks and already in love.

Thanks again
                          Originally posted by jasonsnoddy
                          I don't always drift, but when I do, I prefer ford fiestas

Comment

Good write up. This is very helpfull.
                            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

nice information rob, thanks

Comment

Is this the guy who is always the option on the polls!?!?!?!

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Working...
                                X