No announcement yet.

DIY: Hydraulic Handbrake Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is easy depends on how strong one are. Offcourse a long lever drifting style would require less torque to lock, but that was never an option for me.
    1987 BMW E30 M3 RB26
    2016 VW Polo 1.2 TSI R-Line

Originally posted by 5spoke
    Fucking norway and your sick clean ass e30's! Yes i am yelling!

Comment

I'm doing the same setup as Mr. Horsepower in my daily, (except to the Massive e-brake setup) and you can actually space the e-brake up so it's easier to reach and still retain the stock ratchet.

Comment

My cables to my e brake are stretched out and no longer work, if I could retain the stock ratchet I'd be down.

Comment

The kit I bought

Welded in some nuts

1987 BMW E30 M3 RB26
          2016 VW Polo 1.2 TSI R-Line

Originally posted by 5spoke
          Fucking norway and your sick clean ass e30's! Yes i am yelling!

Comment

Ok, so I'm thinking about making my own kit but since it won't come with the hardware kit i'm confused about the fittings for the wilwood master cylinder.
            http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/260-6087/10002/-1.

According to the Wilwood site, the outlet is 3/8 -24 which is ideal for 3/16 line correct? so i would only need a 3/8 -24 nut and flare the tube.
            Get the Best Performance with JEGS Stainless Steel Tube Nuts Fits 3/16" Tube 635270 parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!

The inlet is 7/16 -20. So, this fitting would make the inlet the same as the outlet so i could just use another 3/8 -24 nut.

I'm just a little unsure why Jezza used -3an sleaves and nuts rather than just 3/8 -24 nuts or do both work?

I'm new to brake lines so and all the fitting sizes make my brain hurt

Comment

Just finished figuring this out, it's your lucky day.

The outlet (3/8-24) uses a regular 3/16ths brake line nut, nothing special about it.

Wilwood can go fuck themselves for the thread pitch they used on the inlet :curse:

Line nuts that fit it do exist, but the ones I could find only existed on ebay coming from the UK. You will find 'adapters' with google searches from autozone, advance auto parts, ect and they all state they have something that will work. They do not. Their sites are wrong - they have the right part number listed, but it's actually a 7/16-24, which obviously will not work.

Here's what you need to buy for the inlet:

Adapter to go from the inlet to your brake line. Make sure you've got teflon tape and a crush washer for it as the fitting does not bottom out in the master.
              Free Shipping - Fragola Performance Systems Brake Adapters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Brake Fittings at Summit Racing.

Tube nut, -3AN
              Free Shipping - Fragola Performance Systems Tube Nuts with qualifying orders of $109. Shop AN Tube Nuts at Summit Racing.

Tube sleeve, -3AN
              Free Shipping - Fragola Performance Systems Tube Sleeves with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Tube Sleeves at Summit Racing.

Make sure you get -3AN as it's the equivalent of 3/16ths. When you're doing your flare, but the tube nut on first, then the sleeve, then flare.

Also, the 7/16-20 adapter you linked is 9/16-20, so don't buy that :D

Comment

Ahh OK I got it. Thanks. It would have been too easy for Wilwood to make a 7/16-20 adapter to match the outlet huh.

Also a 7/16 bango to -3an would work as well right... Thinking of doing that for a 90° bend.

Comment

Hmmm... the banjo ~might~ work. Just make sure you don't buy the cheap banjo adapters - a lot of those manufacturers use the same 'sleeve' for different bolt sizes, which is an issue if space or mounting surface area is limited. I ran into this issue when I bought summit racing brand banjo -> AN dealies for my PS rack. They BOTH used 22 or 23MM bolt heads. Couldn't get a good grip on the bolts, had to drop the rack again and tighten them up on the ground :curse:

Comment

Could you use a master that has it's own resivor? instead of being fed by the brakes?

Comment

Yes, but you'd want separate calipers in that case. Massive sells an adapter to do so, but you have to ditch your cable e-brake setup. You're looking at about $550 for a setup like that, give or take another $50.

Comment

Or you could build it :)
                        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Subscribed
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Lol yeah. I'll take a picture of the hydro bracket I made for my car - still not sure how I want to mount it, but I didn't think the little handbrake was gonna cut it (comfort or strength(pull strength, not structural wise).

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Sorry if this has been specified before but when buying the hyro e brake from ASD's website do you get the 5/8ths reservoir or the 5/8ths pass through? You said cylinder so I assume its the reservoir not the pass through, am I correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X