No announcement yet.

E30 M-tech 1 rubber spoiler and inlay restoration, mounting points and paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M-tech 1 rubber spoiler and inlay restoration, mounting points and paint

So I was Hesitant on making this thread. Do too not being completely sure on how to take it apart the without breaking anything and I didn't want to Jimmy Rig it back together. So until I had access to a lathe I didn't attempt the project
    The spoiler is attached to the fiber glass piece with 3 screws that are not corrosion resistant. I had to drill out the old screws and brass inlay that the screws were threaded into. I managed to save one to take a picture

What's left of the other screws

I turned down a piece of brass and tapped them to the correct thread pitch

You drill out the old brass and jb weld the new fittings in and even if you destroy some of the structure jb and masking taped wrapped around it will create a good structure. In the custom brass threaded pieces shuv clay in the threads so that they don't clogg up with jb weld.

Buy stainless steel hardware and washer for corrosion resistance

Sand all the paint down to the fiber glass

Most wings will have cracks in the Fiberglas an te paint so you have to remove all the paint or its going to just look wavy.
    I then dremel the crack out and fill them with a very nice body filler made by u-pol dolphin glaze

These are all the cracks I filled, you're supposed to use a fiber glass resin but its like impossible to keep the natural concave . So I decided to use filler. The glass resin is really thick and hard to work with

After you fill the cracks lay one coat of primer acting as your guide coat

Then you add a skim coat over the whole thing
    I added one then let it activate then sanded and added another, and then another

After the second skim

This is before skim coat three

It's currently not finished but il ad pics soon I made a custom color and il show the results tomorrow

subscribed. thanks for posting this up. i'm in the process of doing my spoiler as well.

question, what are your plans for the rubber portion of the wing? mine is in pretty good shape, just a bit faded. any recommendations on a dressing i could use to bring it back to black?

Comment

Working...
    X