How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    You can do it, just fill the rack up with fluid and plug the 2 holes that normally carry the PS lines.
    NOOO!!!!!!
    Empty the rack of atf. Get as much of it out as you possibly can. Less oil = less effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
      NOOO!!!!!!
      Empty the rack of atf. Get as much of it out as you possibly can. Less oil = less effort.
      You need to have something in the rack, but if your not using the PS, then I suggest grease.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
        NOOO!!!!!!
        What are you, retarded? No oil = no lubrication = wrecked internals. Would you run your engine without oil so that in can 'spin more freely'?

You have to have ATF in there to keep everything lubed up, also to help transmit any heat to the outside of the rack (housing) to help cool the internals during any HP driving.

Comment

What are you, retarded? No oil = no lubrication = wrecked internals. Would you run your engine without oil so that in can 'spin more freely'?

You have to have ATF in there to keep everything lubed up, also to help transmit any heat to the outside of the rack (housing) to help cool the internals during any HP driving.
          How can you compare an engine to a steering rack? Even if you drain the rack, you still won't get all the PS fluid out of it. The surfaces of the rack and pinion remain coated for years because its a sealed system. Try turning a depowered rack full of oil vs one full of air. Theres a huge difference.

I ran my old E30 rack without oil for a year before I swapped a depowered E36 rack. There was no deterioration in the rack.

Comment

I'm trying to connect my Z3 rack to the steering coupling, but trying to push the spline in is proving to be very difficult. It's very tight. Any tips?
            1988 325i Motorsport cab
            - Megasquirt Info

Comment

Originally posted by FlappySocks View Post
              I'm trying to connect my Z3 rack to the steering coupling, but trying to push the spline in is proving to be very difficult. It's very tight. Any tips?
              Mine was a bitch too. Lube up the splines with a bit of grease or oil, and gently tap the knuckle with a hammer, it should go on. Make sure the splines aren't binding, look for any metal damage or shavings that might indicate that.

Comment

hey guys, question what would be best to install with my 96' m3 rack?

e36 tierods or my existing e30 rods? will there be a difference at all?

becuase ive read that you can use the e30 rods, so i was just double checking!

thanks.
                - 88' E30 M3 -
                - MKV JETTA TDI -

Comment

Originally posted by Majjic View Post
                  hey guys, question what would be best to install with my 96' m3 rack?

e36 tierods or my existing e30 rods? will there be a difference at all?

becuase ive read that you can use the e30 rods, so i was just double checking!

thanks.

Either will work just fine. The e36 tierods will give you more wheel / tire clearance is the only difference.

Comment

Anyone know what the difference is between the 318is and 325 high pressure lines is? Pelican Parts lists the 318is one for $235 while the 325 ones appear to be $55??
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by andrson View Post
                      Anyone know what the difference is between the 318is and 325 high pressure lines is? Pelican Parts lists the 318is one for $235 while the 325 ones appear to be $55??
                      Thanks.
                      I don't know if this is true with all 318is/325 lines, but on my car, the line coils around at the end that goes into the rack, and when I went to the JY to find another one, the one on a 325i I looked at did not have this part.

Comment

Did the one without the coils still fit?

Comment

Originally posted by andrson View Post
                          Did the one without the coils still fit?
                          I haven't installed it yet. I hope it does though, as I don't really want to spend the money on a new one.

Comment

Update: The M20 High Pressure line fit on my M42 with a E36 rack with some bending and twisting around. I guess I'll see if in time the extra stress on it from being bent and twisted does anything, but for now it appears to be working.

Comment

Originally posted by LovableSheep View Post
                              Update: The M20 High Pressure line fit on my M42 with a E36 rack with some bending and twisting around. I guess I'll see if in time the extra stress on it from being bent and twisted does anything, but for now it appears to be working.

That should be fine as long as you did not kink the line to restrict the flow anywhere.

Comment

I don't know who is retarded, but the fluid must be emptied from the rack. Steering gear is lubricated with vaseline. Powersteering uses ATF and if you leave the fluid in it will be very hard to turn the steering wheel in the end (of course, cause fluid do not compress).

So, it must be emptied and since you cannot empty it totally, there will be fluid left for lubrication.

Comment

Working...
                                X