How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aznbo187 View Post
    Since the steering rack is different on a 91 airbag 325, is this steering rack still possible to swap?
    Do you mean that the column is different? The swap definitely works on airbag cars.

Comment

Originally posted by xer0trigger View Post
      Hmm. I wasn't aware the '91 was different from the rest. But, I've got a '99 M3 rack I had planned on putting in this weekend, I guess I'll find out if anything is different!
      can you keep the airbag with the e36 steering rack?
      I guess we will find out...

Comment

Originally posted by nbio View Post
        can you keep the airbag with the e36 steering rack?
        I guess we will find out...
        how would a diff rack change the airbag? The air bag doesn't go on the rack...
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

i saw on the zionville autosport site that their kit was for non airbag LHD cars only
          just wanted to know why it wouldnt work

Comment

Read.The.Thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
              Instead of trying to get the right bends in the hard line, I just unbolted both ends and flipped it 180 degrees. The end that used to mount to the rack is now at the pump and the pump end now bolts to the rack. worked like a charm!

Its a lot of work. I spent a good 5 hours, but the results are fun!
              i just wanted to see if this can be corroborated by anyone else
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                Instead of trying to get the right bends in the hard line, I just unbolted both ends and flipped it 180 degrees. The end that used to mount to the rack is now at the pump and the pump end now bolts to the rack. worked like a charm!

Its a lot of work. I spent a good 5 hours, but the results are fun!
                Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                Yes, this worked for me as well.
                Last edited by xer0trigger; 05-01-2009, 09:19 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                  Originally posted by xer0trigger View Post
                  Yes, this worked for me as well.
                  worked for me also.

Comment

Flipping the high pressure hose 180 definitely works, however it does make getting to the oil level sender and alternator from below a bitch.

Comment

what size is the spacer needed. It did not say.
                      Custom Made Skid Plates For Sale.
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=111469
                      http://raceskids.com/

Comment

couple weeks until I swap a 95 m3 rack into my 88 325is non-airbag...here is what I was about to order from pelican, but I am getting mixed reviews as to what I actually need. If I can get by with using my current e30 HP/LP lines and reservoir then I would prefer that but from this list is there anything that would make it a lot easier or simply needed?
                        Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

Comment

You CAN use the old E30 lines as well. I've done it on recent swaps and in some cases it's easier that way. I say use whichever you have the easiest access to.

Comment

would their be a benefit from buying new lines though? (ie. are the e30 ones prone to leak eventually?)
                            Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

Comment

New is always better! But will you gain anything from a new hose vs an old hose that is not leaking...nope.

Comment

I kept e30 lines, didn't have to bend them at all...

Does anyone have exact measurements for spacers? I have micky-moused my installation on, but I'd like to lathe perfect one, like Zionville does. Right now I have 10mm spacers in.

Comment

Working...
                                X