How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zmann42087 View Post
    Does anybody happen to know the part number for the E30 high-pressure line?
    edit: nvm I'm stupid

edit2: any of these?

or
    2008 335i - n54b30
    1991 318i - m52b28
    1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

I have a 1990 325 with the airbag. Does anyone have a write up detailed pictures on what modification is needed to be done to the fire wall for the steering column.

Comment

Originally posted by e30gentry View Post
        I have a 1990 325 with the airbag. Does anyone have a write up detailed pictures on what modification is needed to be done to the fire wall for the steering column.
        Have you read this thread? If not, you should start reading.

and this...

Comment

Hey, so I did the swap recently into my 318is (e30). I ended up using an e36 318i rack, and had a shop modify the steering knuckle. The rack is dumping fluid constantly and feels very, very vague.

My question is...would I be able to purchase another e36 rack and reuse the steering knuckle again? Reason I'm asking is I was thinking about going with something with a better ratio and wasn't sure if the steering knuckle was model-specific or not.

Thanks!

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Bueller?

Comment

Yes, you should be able to reuse the modified steering knuckle, assuming the modification performed is what was outlined in this thread.

Comment

Anyone know stock stearing rations? would help alot, searchin too'

Comment

So i've read this thread and decided to do this "conversion".

Now i have some questions that probably the gurus here could help.

My e30 is a 1989 316i, which during manufacturing time unfortunately does not have power steering at all and has been manual steering all these while. There are many e30 and e36 steering racks and pumps on ebay for sale. Decided to go for an e36 rack as there are more available and due to the faster turns ratio.

Does the e30 pump work with the e36 rack? I'm saying this cos i suspect that there might be some differences in the pump pressure, and would affect the workability if an incorrect pump was used.

Comment

Step 25 took care of today. Worked like a champ. The beer step I didn't miss but instead of tacos I had chiken wings. Good write up. Thanks!
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok I just read through this entire thing. I have a z3 rack sitting in my shop ready to go. Mine is a reman that came with the inner tie rods already on. Is there any way to make sure it is even on both sides so its equal? When they come reman'd are they pre set?
                        CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

Originally posted by SoEm0 View Post
                          Ok I just read through this entire thing. I have a z3 rack sitting in my shop ready to go. Mine is a reman that came with the inner tie rods already on. Is there any way to make sure it is even on both sides so its equal? When they come reman'd are they pre set?
                          Guys, correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think you can use the e36/Z3 inner tie rods. I think you have to remove the boots and inner tie rods and fit e30 units. Am I smoking crack here?

Comment

Originally posted by drinaldis View Post
                            Am I smoking crack here?
                            Yes.

E36 tie rods, E36 locking plates. As for the steering rack, you can either count the threads or you can put it on the car and see if your rack is centered by comparing the turns to lock left and right.

Comment

I just did the swap again recently and used new E36 complete tie rods and locking plates. No problems at all.

Comment

When you do the swap, just use the E36 locking plates ( like robert did) the E30 ones can and do shear.
                                seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X