No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I am ordering some new e36 tie rods. Just needed to know how to tell if its centered.
    CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

There are two types of locking plates BTW - you need to match it to your rack. I havne't installed mine yet - But I'll try to snap some pics.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

The E36 ones have a reinforcement plate on the back side. The E30 ones do not.
        seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

What if you're using the E36 rack and E30 tie rods? I used E30 locking plates. We're talking about the big copper plates with a little notch in them, that you hammer down onto the flat parts of the inner tie rod end, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
            What if you're using the E36 rack and E30 tie rods? I used E30 locking plates. We're talking about the big copper plates with a little notch in them, that you hammer down onto the flat parts of the inner tie rod end, right?
            Same question. Can I use e36 locking plates with e30 tie rods?

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
              Yes, and you're good.
              Originally posted by z31maniac
              I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

I think I use e30 plates with e30 tie rods.

Don't know if e36 work.
                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Just got my reman (Mavel) rack from BMA (ordered bmw p/n 32131095575). Rack make 3.2 turns L to L. Did I get the wrong rack? I wanted the 2.7 Turn L to L rack.

Comment

The problem with the locking plates is not with the tie rods, but the rack itself. If you use the E36 rack, you need to use the E36 locking plates, not the E30 locking plates.
                    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                      The problem with the locking plates is not with the tie rods, but the rack itself. If you use the E36 rack, you need to use the E36 locking plates, not the E30 locking plates.
                      Good to know, I said it wrong up above then. Could have sworn I used e30 plates on my e36 rack.
                      I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

I used e30 plates with my e36 rack.

Comment

Got my E36 rack on the way (97 328i) with hp line included:up:. Also ordered my new reservoir and picking up the crush washers at the dealer in the next couple days. Still need to get the spacers for the rack (airbag car...92 aw on card vert).

Just so I am clear (as mud) I can re-use the E30 tie rods without anything special and I also can use a dremel to cut the crimped fittings on the low pressure lines so I can get new lines but re-use the fittings.

I guess I will just wait and see how everything lines up going through the firewall before i start making any changes up there. Seems like some fit and some require a bit of modding. (Fingers crossed for no mods required).

Last thing is, do I need these locking plates? If so, I was looking a Turner and all I see is a stop kit and an alignment tool. Can someone point me in the right direction.

One more...if there is anyone in SoCal Inland Empire (Menifee - Sun City) area that wants to assist with this for free pizza and beer.:drink: I would be more than willing to accept the assistance.
                          Last edited by m32go; 03-22-2011, 10:14 PM. Reason: Clarified a question

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
                            Good to know, I said it wrong up above then. Could have sworn I used e30 plates on my e36 rack.
                            You may have, it does not guarantee failure. However if I were you I would keep an eye on them (or probably just replace them with E36 ones--it's not worth the headache).

Comment

My z3 rack didnt have any lock plates in them. Is this normal for the z3 non m rack? Both i have seen were this way.
                              Originally posted by codyep3
                              I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                              2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                              1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                              1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                              2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                              2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                              2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                              2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                              2010 F650gs twin
                              2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                                My z3 rack didnt have any lock plates in them. Is this normal for the z3 non m rack? Both i have seen were this way.
                                yes, its normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X