No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Z3 rack did not have provisions for lock plates either.
    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT
    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '98 Disco 1

Comment

Please help. I'm looking for a Z3 (holy grail) rack to put in my e30 M3. After ~$1300 and 3 weeks of buying and returning racks to BMA I can't find one. It seems no matter what part number I order, what re-manufacturer I use, I wind up getting a rack that turns 3+ revolutions lock to lock and translates 45mm per revolution. Is there a definitive source or method of identifying the Z3 rack? I'm losing time and patience.

Thanks,

Comment

There's a little section on this forum. It's called "want to buy". $200-$250. $300 if the seller is being greedy.

I haven't driven a z3 rack e30, but I hear they are a bit too darty on the free way. I still suspect that the m3 rack is the best all around rack for anything other then autocross.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
          Step 21: Use a wrench to try and make the rack as even as possible. Use a tape measure to ensure both sides of the rack are even.

Just finished a e36 m3 rack. Haven't driven it yet.

I'm trying to think why this step is necessary to align the rack on center. Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing about the steering column that can't be changed by removing the steering wheel and re-centering it, right? You're going to most likely mess it up when you go to get the universal joints onto the splines anyways.

Anyone care to correct me?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            Just finished a e36 m3 rack. Haven't driven it yet.

I'm trying to think why this step is necessary to align the rack on center. Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing about the steering column that can't be changed by removing the steering wheel and re-centering it, right? You're going to most likely mess it up when you go to get the universal joints onto the splines anyways.

Anyone care to correct me?
            Its not really necessary. You can always pull the steering wheel off to recenter. I did this and measured the old tie rods just so I could get a general idea of how to setup the new ones.

Comment

Ah, great - thanks for confirming. I know the turn signal cancel is on the wheel - but I wasn't sure if there was something thing else that needed to be aligned by me before I take it to get an alignment.

BTW - with a m30, the rack can be pulled out with out bending the tabs - plenty of room.

Thanks for the write up Robert. It's simple in hind-sight, but it's always nice to see what's required for parts planning and tools.

Comment

George, that part fucked me up, too! I got everything finished, and was like "oh shit! I didn't measure the rack!" and was driving myself crazy, counting the amount of turns from lock-to-lock and checking my steering wheel, and then kind of went "wait..."

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                  George, that part fucked me up, too! I got everything finished, and was like "oh shit! I didn't measure the rack!" and was driving myself crazy, counting the amount of turns from lock-to-lock and checking my steering wheel, and then kind of went "wait..."
                  Happened to me too haha its a little off center still, but i'll just fix that when I get an alignment I guess
                  -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                    I haven't driven a z3 rack e30, but I hear they are a bit too darty on the free way. I still suspect that the m3 rack is the best all around rack for anything other then autocross.
                    Can somebody who has a Z3 rack in their car confirm or deny the "dartyness"? I'm looking at one for my DD, but I don't want my car to be darty on the free way.

Comment

I've got a 2.5L Z3 rack I'll be putting in this week. I'll let you know. Does anyone know the length that the knuckle spacer needs to be. The original part is no longer available. I haven't searched yet, but will do and post my results if I find it.
                      JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

The knuckle spacer needs to be around .55 of an inch.

Don't forget to grind down the binding arm. Grind down MORE than you think you need to because ppl here said "only a little bit" or "just until the square edges are gone". I'm happy I grinded mine down quite a bit only to find it was "just enough". I used an angle grinder and it took a while. But the most stubborn part for me was getting the old rivets out.

Spacers for the steering rack itself are also a little bigger than half an inch. I ended up using some spare nuts I had lying around and it works perfectly fine.

Comment

Cool thanks. I got the spacers for the rack mentioned in the OP, just couldn't find the original part mentioned for the knuckle. When ever grinding or sanding for that matter I never grind enough until I get frustrated and end up grinding too much!
                          JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

One more question. Do the E30 tie rod ends screw into Z3 rods? If not will Z3 tie rods bolt up to an E30 front wheel assembly?
                            JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

You will need e36 ends for that rack. They will bolt to the spindle.
                              CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

Alert the media!!! I finally found a Z3 rack by blindly ordering one from autopartswarehouse.com
                                $280 + $175 core. Can't wait to fit it.

Comment

Working...
                                X