How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoEm0 View Post
    You will need e36 ends for that rack. They will bolt to the spindle.
    Thanks. So order E36 ends not Z3 ends? Just so it's crystal...
    JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

they are the same.
      CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

Thanks...
        JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Just got back from an alignment. Damn. The e36 rack feels so much more modern than a e30m3 rack. It's doesn't have more feedback, but it does have more friction - much more modern feel - it feels weighted - it's great. Not light and flimsy like a Oldsmobile with too much power steering - that's about how bad the stock set up is.

That and all new CA and Tie rods (in and out) make the car feel much more like a e46. It's tight and crisp. The smallest input to the wheel (1/32") will steers the car.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Jesus, I can't wait to drive my car. The E36 rack, combined with all new rear subframe bushings, new wheels bearings, and the new motor... my god.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajan21 View Post
              Can somebody who has a Z3 rack in their car confirm or deny the "dartyness"? I'm looking at one for my DD, but I don't want my car to be darty on the free way.

I've had the Z3 rack in my car for about a month now. Overall, I think it's a fantastic upgrade for anyone. I wouldn't call the rack "darty" but the steering is definitely more sensitive, obviously. I do notice that the steering can "grab" ruts in the road or other broken surfaces. That may be my tires though... the car does have 15x8s.

Bottom line, the steering response is amazing and I wish I had done it sooner.
              -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
              '95 525iT
              '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
              '98 Disco 1

Comment

Z3 2.7 turn rack ftmfw. I love it. Not too much on the freeway at all!!
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

^2.7....yea...I still wonder if the z3 rack is travel limited. I *hate* 3 point turns. Did you notice a little bit larger turning radius?
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                    Jesus, I can't wait to drive my car. The E36 rack, combined with all new rear subframe bushings, new wheels bearings, and the new motor... my god.
                    I can't wait to get mine done. Along with the Z3 rack new CA's, Tie Rods, Sway Bar Bushings F&R, Wheel Bearings on all 4 corners, Subframe Bushings, Sway Bar Links F&R, Trailing Arm Bushings, Shock Mounts on all 4 corners, H&R Sports, Bilstiens, E90 Hats. Can't wait to get it all back together!
                    JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                      Z3 2.7 turn rack ftmfw. I love it. Not too much on the freeway at all!!
                      Agreed. It's one of the best things I've done to the car.
                      Originally posted by george graves View Post
                      ^2.7....yea...I still wonder if the z3 rack is travel limited. I *hate* 3 point turns. Did you notice a little bit larger turning radius?
                      I can still do a u-turn on a 2-lane road with no issues. It's such a minimal difference, I've never noticed it. And the turn into my driveway is around 160-170 degrees, so if it was a big difference, I would definitely notice it.

Comment

Yeah mine goes in tomorrow. I won't get to drive it for a few more days while I finish up my HG and timing shit.

Comment

Ok, if I am just using spacers on the sub frame, do I use the furthest front holes, or still the original holes?

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
                            I've got a 2.5L Z3 rack I'll be putting in this week. I'll let you know. Does anyone know the length that the knuckle spacer needs to be. The original part is no longer available. I haven't searched yet, but will do and post my results if I find it.
                            So, did you get it in? If so, what are your impressions of it?

Comment

Steering Guibo

Does anyone know which steering guibo to use if I'm going to replace it while everything is apart? I would think the E30 one since it's still an E30 steering column, but I'd hate to have everything apart and be wrong. Does anyone happen to have a part # for the correct one?

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajan21 View Post
                                Does anyone know which steering guibo to use if I'm going to replace it while everything is apart? I would think the E30 one since it's still an E30 steering column, but I'd hate to have everything apart and be wrong. Does anyone happen to have a part # for the correct one?
                                I re-used the one from my e30. I know there is at least one more stiff poly option out there as well.

(I wouldn't be surprised if the z3 guibo is the same part but I have no clue)
                                Originally posted by z31maniac
                                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Working...
                                X