No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, i didn't take the time to read all 600 comments so sorry if this question has been asked. let me get this straight, so the steering knuckle has to be modified/shortened to fit the m3 steering rack? is this the only modifying of existing parts necessary besides minor dremeling if there rubbing after instal?

Comment

Originally posted by Heysüß View Post
      after reading from page 1 to 32 I still have one question about z3s steering racks....

I'm looking to get one and a friend of mine said to make sure it's the linear one? what's the other option and I'm assuming any z3 that's not an m has the 2.7 lock to lock right? Thanks in advance! this thread is soooo helpful.

one more question Cloudbase:

so the z3 rack does NOT fit the e30 tie rods correct? BUT you CAN order just the e36 outers and that will fit? thanks again!
      question bump

AND I should add now I have yet to find a dealer of rebuilt racks that doesn't charge a core price, they go from $80 to $190. most rebuilt racks i've found were in the $285-$350 range.
      09/1989 325i 4 Door
      +M30 Swap
      +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

if anyone can find a rebuilt z3 rack cheaper let me know.
        09/1989 325i 4 Door
        +M30 Swap
        +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

question bump

AND I should add now I have yet to find a dealer of rebuilt racks that doesn't charge a core price, they go from $80 to $190. most rebuilt racks i've found were in the $285-$350 range.
          apparently some z3's got the 2.7 linear rack while others just got the standard e36 rack. I'm not really sure when there was a switch over from one rack to another, but just make sure its the rack you want.

AFAIK you can use Z3 tie rods, E36 tie rods are just beefier
          -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
            apparently some z3's got the 2.7 linear rack while others just got the standard e36 rack. I'm not really sure when there was a switch over from one rack to another, but just make sure its the rack you want.

AFAIK you can use Z3 tie rods, E36 tie rods are just beefier
            thanks! yeah I made sure to ask it was the 2.7 rack, and i'm running without power steering you think I should just go ahead and buy the e36 tie rods?
            09/1989 325i 4 Door
            +M30 Swap
            +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

im looking into this more and more everyday.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Evan12 View Post
                ok, i didn't take the time to read all 600 comments so sorry if this question has been asked. let me get this straight, so the steering knuckle has to be modified/shortened to fit the m3 steering rack? is this the only modifying of existing parts necessary besides minor dremeling if there rubbing after instal?
                That and you have the option to modify (bend) your existing high pressure power steering line instead of buying a whole new E36 line.

Comment

faaaaaak, my steering knuckle is much simpler looking than what you modified. I'll post pictures later tonight but, basically, I don't have the two intertwining looking forks where you put the spacers in it's just the flex disk and the u joints. Did I miss something in all 42 pages? Do some e30s have a different steering knuckle?
                  09/1989 325i 4 Door
                  +M30 Swap
                  +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

faaaaaak, my steering knuckle is much simpler looking than what you modified. I'll post pictures later tonight but, basically, I don't have the two intertwining looking forks where you put the spacers in it's just the flex disk and the u joints. Did I miss something in all 42 pages? Do some e30s have a different steering knuckle?
                    and now i'm not finding anything close to that steering knuckle in the real oem diagrams, man if I ever felt more out of the loop.
                    09/1989 325i 4 Door
                    +M30 Swap
                    +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

^Airbag car - right? - You need to move the shaft over. Don't worry about the length. Should be fine.
                      Last edited by Mikhail Bakunin; 05-31-2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
                        One more question. Do the E30 tie rod ends screw into Z3 rods? If not will Z3 tie rods bolt up to an E30 front wheel assembly?
                        Originally posted by SoEm0 View Post
                        You will need e36 ends for that rack. They will bolt to the spindle.
                        Someone want to confirm this?

I'd hate to have to reorder tie rods.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                          Someone want to confirm this?

I'd hate to have to reorder tie rods.
                          well, from what i saw the e30 tie rod ends are the "male" part, screwing into the inners.

and if the z3 rack i just got is anything to go by, it came with inners only and the "male" part is on this side now. Again, I've never done this but unless there's something big I'm missing I don't think E30 tie rod ends will go on anything from E36/Z3. Hope my way of thinking helps a bit at least.

And wow, I can't believe I never thought to ask this as well. DO the E36 tie rod ends fit into the e30's stock wheel assembly?

I just assumed it did since no one made a big fuss about asking anything pertaining to that, thanks from bringing that up Cloudbase
                          09/1989 325i 4 Door
                          +M30 Swap
                          +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

If your z3 comes with inners they are going to be male. The e30 outers are males so they won't work. You need the e36 outers that are female. Just make sure you get the new lock parts too.
                            CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

My rack didn't come with any tie rods at all. Do I have to order new tie rod assemblies for the e36/z3 or can I use my e30 ones?

Comment

Does anyone running the z3 rack have issues with their signals not cancelling now due to not needing to turn the wheel as much?
                                Originally posted by codyep3
                                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                                2010 F650gs twin
                                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Working...
                                X