No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do we have to stick to the 95-77 z3 to the letter, or do other z3s work? thanks

also, the question todd black asked above me ^^

Thanks
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rares View Post
      do we have to stick to the 95-77 z3 to the letter, or do other z3s work? thanks

also, the question todd black asked above me ^^

Thanks
      the other Z3 racks will NOT be 2.75 turns lock to lock it'll be like the regular e36 racks.
      09/1989 325i 4 Door
      +M30 Swap
      +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

cool thanks, any problems with the turn signals not shuting off because of the short rack?
        sigpic

Comment

no
          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Anyone that has done the e46 rack: I got the e46 330i rack for pretty cheap it comes with the inner tie rods and I have e36 outer tie rods. Just wondering if this will be too long? Just trying to figure out if I will need to get the e36 inner tie rods or not?
            Originally posted by IRON-E
            Skirtz are for zeh womenzzzz....

Comment

Well I got the rack and tie rods today. The e36 outer tie rods fit right on the e46 inners.. I compared the lengths to my old e30 rack and they are exactly the same. So I am guessing it will work. I will find out on my next day off...

Comment

If anyone is wondering it works great!! Just need to get an alignment done..

Comment

Originally posted by bmwcalvin View Post
                  If anyone is wondering it works great!! Just need to get an alignment done..
                  I'm guessing all the regular modification accommodated it or did you have to do anything different?

Also, does anyone know the rate on the E46 racks?

Comment

I just did the spacers from e30tech and took a dremel to the firewall, with e36 outer tie rods on the e46 inners and it was good to go. I have an airbag e30..

Comment

Anyone know the e46 rack ratios?
                      Originally posted by codyep3
                      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                      2010 F650gs twin
                      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

^ in for this too. I know where I can get an E46 M3 rack though..I know that can't be a bad pick :-p
                        I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

Quick question if anyone knows. I just got another z3 rack, and this one came with new tierods on it. Will this work like that? Just keep everything together and drop it in?

This one should be interesting, as its a canadian spec m-tech II appearance car with a 4/92 build date, but never came with an airbag. Don't know what i will find on this late model car w/o airbag.
                          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                          2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                            Quick question if anyone knows. I just got another z3 rack, and this one came with new tierods on it. Will this work like that? Just keep everything together and drop it in?

This one should be interesting, as its a canadian spec m-tech II appearance car with a 4/92 build date, but never came with an airbag. Don't know what i will find on this late model car w/o airbag.
                            Leave the inner tie rods in place and use e36 outer tie rods.

Comment

The inner and outer tie rods are new though. Can i not use the z3 ones because of length or ? Don't fit?
                              2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                                The inner and outer tie rods are new though. Can i not use the z3 ones because of length or ? Don't fit?
                                Oh, my bad. The rack came with inners AND outers? Huh, never seen that so i'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X