No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nevermind, realoem says e36 cars and z3 uses the same tierods.

Woot Woot!
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
      anyone have any pics of how they routed the PSPump-to-Rack hose?
      Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
      Sounds nice, but not an option for me. I have a perfectly good hose that will work when flipped 180*, based on what everyone has said, but I need a verification photo to show how it's routed/attached.
      Anyone have a pic? Last piece of my puzzle, and cannot seem to find the right location for the stock e30 line routing and orientation.
      Originally posted by codyep3
      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
      2010 F650gs twin
      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Possibly a stupid question, but has anyone used an airbag steering knuckle in a non airbag car instead of modifying the non airbag knuckle?

Comment

Just a heads up, issue that I have been dealing with since I got my car back on the road. I went on vacation right after I completed the swap and only had a chance to drive it around the block before I left. I did an e46 p/s swap and used the outer tie rods from fcp on ebay. They said that they were meyle or equivalent. Hopped in the car for the first time today, I thought everything was fine but they had been grinding on the inside of my wheels for a couple of miles. Parts store had 1 meyle in stock, I put it on and it fixed the problem for the driver's side 2-3mm of clearance, just waiting on my passenger one to show up tomorrow...
          Originally posted by IRON-E
          Skirtz are for zeh womenzzzz....

Comment

Installed! Works great!!!
            Originally posted by IRON-E
            Skirtz are for zeh womenzzzz....

Comment

So the fittings on the low pressure lines can be removed to replace the hose? Seems like mine are leaking a lil bit at the crimps on the line, and just want to make sure before I raise the car and start takin it apart again.

Comment

Very good info on this thread, my rack is leaking like a mofo, seriously, it leaves a trail of ps fluid everytime I turn, lol

But as my car sits right now, I can only do one turn of my steering wheel before my tires hit my fenders, so I think I'll try to find the cheapest rack since 2.7 or 3.0 turns is irrelevant in my case :)
                Youtube channel is up!-->According2Valentine

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30
                Originally posted by J3M93
                This guy delivers, you are a boss

Comment

question for the airbag owners. im about to do a regular E36 rack since my stock one is toast.

when you moved the steering shaft in the firewall did it change the angle of the steering wheel or is there a u-joint somewhere in the column as well?

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                  That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

The PS hose from pump to rack on my car is leaking anyway and I'm going to do the e36 rack swap in the future... what hose should I order? e36 or e30?

Comment

I used a e30 one. Just flipped the sides from stock. Make sure you order new crush washers when you do it. I didn't and I have a leak, I have to take the lines back off at the rack and put new crush washers in.
                      CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

Originally posted by SoEm0 View Post
                        I used a e30 one. Just flipped the sides from stock. Make sure you order new crush washers when you do it. I didn't and I have a leak, I have to take the lines back off at the rack and put new crush washers in.
                        I see, I have an airbag car and that line looks different than an e30 or e36 one, it has a "swirly" bend at the rack.

Comment

Yeah not sure if there is a different one for airbag cars, mine doesn't have em. Just cross reference them on realoem
                          CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

Shorten steering joint by removing steering guibo

i'm in the middle of swapping in a regular e36 rack and had a new idea of a way to shorten the steering joint.

Could you remove the steering guibo to shorten the joint. might need some small spacers in there to get the length just right. see pictures

Has anyone tried this before? This method retains the joint's ability to compress and removes any flexibility from the rubber part hence improving steering feel.

My only concerns are:
                            -can i shorten the joint enough?
                            -do the u-joints need to be offset 90 degrees from each other?

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarz3 View Post
                              Very good info on this thread, my rack is leaking like a mofo, seriously, it leaves a trail of ps fluid everytime I turn, lol

But as my car sits right now, I can only do one turn of my steering wheel before my tires hit my fenders, so I think I'll try to find the cheapest rack since 2.7 or 3.0 turns is irrelevant in my case :)
                              get the 2.7, the reason it's 2.7 instead of the M3 rack's 3.0 is because it's the same rack but with less wheel travel, not a quicker rack

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Shorten the Joint by removing the guibo

You can shorten the joint by removing the steering guibo.
                                Reasons to shorten this way:
                                -Steering joint can still collapse
                                -removes slop due to do rubber coupler

Sorry i didn't take pictures of all the steps.

Hardware Required:
                                - 2x 3/8" x 1.25" grade 8 bolts
                                - 2x 3/8" grade 8 lock nuts
                                - 2x ~.1" thick washers

** Remember to trim the u-joints to avoid binding **

1. Grind off rivets and hammer out steering guibo
                                2. Remove the plastic tube/bushing thing from the center pin
                                3. Cut a 0.2 inch section of the bushing
                                3. Cut the center pin to ~1 inch
                                4. Drill out the holes with a 3/8 inch drill bit, you will have to open up one hole a little so you can slide the bolt in. I opened up the hole by first drilling through straight, then wiggling the drill side to side.
                                5. Slide the 0.2 inch bushing back on the center pin
                                6. Place the washer between the two sections and bolt it together.

Installed:

Post Test Drive:
                                Just took the bimmer out for a test ride. the e36 rack is noticeably quicker and makes "spirited" driving a lot more fun.

As for eliminating the rubber steering guibo, I felt no vibration through the wheel, even at highway speeds.

Summary great Mod!
                                Last edited by chrisnxl185; 08-26-2011, 08:41 AM. Reason: Post Test Ride

Comment

Working...
                                X