No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what i want to know is do i REALLY have to replace the High pressure lines and the resevoir? or can i get by with what the little monster came with?

Originally posted by ApexGoblin
    well make sure your priorities are straight... e30 first :up:

Comment

just go to autozone and pay the 2.99 per hose. they cut it to length for whatever u need. just get 2ft and cut it down. and u know theyre fresh pressure lines

Originally posted by xikyle View Post
      what i want to know is do i REALLY have to replace the High pressure lines and the resevoir? or can i get by with what the little monster came with?
      m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
      build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

I swapped my rack the other day on my non-airbag car. I bought an entire E36 rack from Toms FAP on ebay for $100 including the tie rods. I got the aluminum spacers from E30tech, and used chrisnxl185's method of modifying the u-joints which removes the guibo and keeps the collapsing pins.

The hardest part was getting the old knuckle off the steering column. I have learned the hard way, remove the u-joint clamp bolt, don't just loosen it. (On the E36, the bolt will damage the splines if you leave it in) I then used tons of PB Blaster, a pry bar pulling down on the rack, and wedged pickle forks between the firewall and the u-joint to pull the thing off the splines.

I was really confused about inner/outer rods, boots, c clips, so I thought putting the whole E36 rack would be simpler. I haven't driven it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

Ok, I've done some research and am still a bit confused and don't have time to go through 47 pages on this thread.

Just received my Z3 rack and a set of new E30 outer tie rods. My remaned rack comes complete with rack boots and inner tie rods. I don't see how these E30 outer tie rods will work with the inner tie rods on this Z3 rack. Am I missing something?

Do I need to remove the stock Z3 inners tie rods and install E30 tie rods instead? Or send back my E30 outer tie rods and get some E36 outer tie rods to mate to this rack?

Thanks y'all,
          Aahj

Comment

Originally posted by Aahj View Post
            Ok, I've done some research and am still a bit confused and don't have time to go through 47 pages on this thread.

Just received my Z3 rack and a set of new E30 outer tie rods. My remaned rack comes complete with rack boots and inner tie rods. I don't see how these E30 outer tie rods will work with the inner tie rods on this Z3 rack. Am I missing something?

Do I need to remove the stock Z3 inners tie rods and install E30 tie rods instead? Or send back my E30 outer tie rods and get some E36 outer tie rods to mate to this rack?

Thanks y'all,
            Aahj
            Remove inner and outer. Replace with either all Inner and outer E30 or all inner and outer E36. Since you have E30 Outers you will need e30 inner tie rods. Good luck
            Randall Racing and Engineering
            Acworth, Georgia, 30101
            http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

Damn this threads been kickin for a long time. Thanks OP for starting this all. I used this to do my swap. Just waiting for my spacers to come in and I'll be done. Will definitely post results.

Just a quick question though. As I've never done this myself before, to take out the inner tie rods you can simply use vise grips and they just pop off? I'm replacing mine but I didn't know if this method was correct or not. Seems a bit brute.
              '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
              '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Originally posted by FlexdXJ
              Is that thing on air?

Comment

Originally posted by ToPLeSS(e30)FeinD View Post
                Just a quick question though. As I've never done this myself before, to take out the inner tie rods you can simply use vise grips and they just pop off? I'm replacing mine but I didn't know if this method was correct or not. Seems a bit brute.
                '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
                '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Originally posted by FlexdXJ
                Is that thing on air?

Comment

Just had this done, what a difference! I did a new steering yoke, refurbished e36 rack, new steering pump, all new lines, and a new reservoir. It takes a tiny bit of driver input to get the steering wheel to center after a light turn, nothing crazy. Is this normal?

Comment

Just put mine in today, does the same thing as well and seems like they make the racks a tad tight when they rebuild them. I'll give it a few weeks for it to break in and see if it helps at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Aahj View Post
                      Just put mine in today, does the same thing as well and seems like they make the racks a tad tight when they rebuild them. I'll give it a few weeks for it to break in and see if it helps at all.
                      Cool, glad I'm not the only one to experience this. I figured that with all new steering components it'd be a tad tight, after visually inspecting the u joint, it's straight as an arrow and moving freely do the mild lack of return action must be due to the freshly rebuilt rack. Keep us posted!

Comment

i have been able to find every part but the low pressure line anyone have a part number or a link?

Comment

Originally posted by xikyle View Post
                          You can keep the lines you have, but you'll have to bend them a little to make it bolt flush on to the rack. As long as nothing was leaking before you should be fine. I ended up buying a new reservoir since mine was leaking...
                          Originally posted by IRON-E
                          Skirtz are for zeh womenzzzz....

Comment

i couldnt use the same oem hi pressure line, i had to get a custom line done.
                            Randall Racing and Engineering
                            Acworth, Georgia, 30101
                            http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

Originally posted by Landrunner View Post
                              Just had this done, what a difference! I did a new steering yoke, refurbished e36 rack, new steering pump, all new lines, and a new reservoir. It takes a tiny bit of driver input to get the steering wheel to center after a light turn, nothing crazy. Is this normal?
                              Mine was like this. I adjusted the steering lash (big bolt i think 22mm? on the bottom of the rack) and it acts like normal now. Just a very slight adjustment was needed.

Comment

I'd recommend buying a new reservoir just because theres a nonreplacable filter inside of them. No use running a dirty filter on a new rack.

I tried using a e36 high pressure line but honestly it was harder to fit than the e30 one with a slight bend.

Comment

Working...
                                X