No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can the lockplate for the inner tierod ends be re-used once removed, or do they have to be replaced with new ones? Going to tackle this sooner or later. The e36 rack sitting on my workbench is calling to me......
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

You're probably better off getting new ones. They're cheap insurance.
      2008 335i - n54b30
      1991 318i - m52b28
      1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Originally posted by drumad View Post
        You're probably better off getting new ones. They're cheap insurance.
        Or you can try Locktight!
        Randall Racing and Engineering
        Acworth, Georgia, 30101
        http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

So i have a spare steering knuckle that i had a friend grind off the rivets for me. I ordered the e30tech spacer and hardware set and the bolts don't slip through one side of the steering knuckle. It's like the holes in one end are smaller...but i see no mention of drill/elongating the holes???

Comment

They fit, just have to play with them like puzzle pieces. Need to be arranged in a certain order to fit together. Don't remember how I did it off the top of my head though, sorry. But it can be done!

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
              So i have a spare steering knuckle that i had a friend grind off the rivets for me. I ordered the e30tech spacer and hardware set and the bolts don't slip through one side of the steering knuckle. It's like the holes in one end are smaller...but i see no mention of drill/elongating the holes???
              I had the same problem when I did mine. I ended up drilling the smaller side out to fit the bigger side just to avoid problems. I don't know why this problem exists but it's a small one that can be moved around.
              '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
              '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Originally posted by FlexdXJ
              Is that thing on air?

Comment

Originally posted by mbc325 View Post
                Mine was like this. I adjusted the steering lash (big bolt i think 22mm? on the bottom of the rack) and it acts like normal now. Just a very slight adjustment was needed.
                What is this adjustment you speak of? I had that slow return problem until I got an alignment but for some reason now I have an incredible amount of bump steer especially in high speed turns. How does this adjustment operate and what direction did you spin?
                '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
                '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Is that thing on air?

Comment

Originally posted by ToPLeSS(e30)FeinD View Post
                  I had the same problem when I did mine. I ended up drilling the smaller side out to fit the bigger side just to avoid problems. I don't know why this problem exists but it's a small one that can be moved around.
                  ya i never came across any need for drilling in any diys i read so i was a little confused...

Comment

got my e36 rack all installed (after much cursing) with the spacers, etc.

Now my steering feels heavy and doesn't return well to center.

The e36 rack has TWO big bolts on the bottom:

One is a 22mm flat head, which apparently adjusts lash. It was tight when I got the rack, and once loosened at all it gets REAL loose (like, turn-by-hand loose).

Also there is a 2nd bolt, about 45* around the rack directly above it. It's a smaller (17mm) nut with a circle around it and little tick marks. This bolt is not present on an e30 rack. Any ideas as to what it is for? Centering position perhaps?

Anyhow, the car is driveable, and the steering quicker, but it definitely feels heavy and doesn't return well to center....

suggestions?
                    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop
                    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I just scooped a 1.9L z3 rack for $120 with only 88K on the car it came from...CANT wait to put this in my car
                      1991 318is ---230K - DD
                      1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                      so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Last Friday I swapped in a Z3 steering rack.

Everything went pretty smoothly and there looked to be barely any binding in the steering knuckle.

The problem's started happening when I drove it. I didn't really have an issue with binding so much as the car pulling violently left and right. It fells as if someone is jerking on the steering wheel. I would turn the steering wheel very slightly and then it would continue to turn on its own until it locks

I put the car back in the garage and tried to grind down the steering knuckle but it didn't feel or look like it was binding very much so I wasn't sure how much to really remove. I drove the car again and it didn't feel much better at all.

I'm really not sure what could be causing this. Would a binding steering knuckle cause the car to pull from side to side, because I thought it would make it harder to turn?

I even tried to check if my tie rods were touching my wheel but there seems to be enough room. Power steering has been deleted as well.

Any ideas?

(pic of the car just because)

sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

^ this is also the problem I am having, only not to this extreme. I thin it might have to do with one of the adjustment bolts on the bottom of the rack. I have yet to do research but I'll share if I find anything. Does anybody know what that 17mm bolt does on the front side of the rack?
                          '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
                          '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Is that thing on air?

Comment

Hi everyone... I'm getting ready to do this mod, and i have a question that i don't believe was answered yet.

What's the best way to grind out the firewall area without removing the engine? Should i go from the bottom or from the top? Should i remove the brake booster?

Is it easy to get to that area to grind out?

Comment

Originally posted by ToPLeSS(e30)FeinD View Post
                              ^ this is also the problem I am having, only not to this extreme. I thin it might have to do with one of the adjustment bolts on the bottom of the rack. I have yet to do research but I'll share if I find anything. Does anybody know what that 17mm bolt does on the front side of the rack?
                              Have you had a proper alignment done after your swap?

I have had 2 people suggest that it is poor alignment causing the problem.
                              sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

Ya I had an alignment and it deleted the slow return problem I had. But the issue regarding the inline instability feels like its something else. Feels like something is loose but ive been through the setup three times and checked through everything to ensure it was done right.
                                '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
                                '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Is that thing on air?

Comment

Working...
                                X