Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Coilovers and strut tube modification (with pictures!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JDMpower View Post
    [newb flame suit /on]
    If I get a ground control setup...I need to chop/weld my strut housings?
    [newb flame suit /off]

Depends on which GC set-up you go with .

You can get a complete housing wiht the adjusters already mounted and installed .
    $$$

Then you can get the coil-over kit and shorten your housings and then youmust purchase inserts for a different non-e30 application .
    A lower spacer and or custom revalving of the inserts may be needed .
    $$

Or you can get the coil-over kit and just grind off your lower perches and you are pretty much set .
    $

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

ok, #3 for me I bet. :)

I was thinking this set:

Last edited by VAPORBLADE; 11-22-2006, 08:40 PM.
      '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking this set:
        http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=540/CA=8
        The kit you listed is a complete set with shocks and camber plates and everything .

You can get just the coil-over conversion parts from GC for around $400 or so to convert your struts to coil-overs and still use your inserts to reduce the cost .
        Heres the LINK for the E30 conversion kit .

Heres a kit that I bough for one of my E34's :

That is the same set-up that you will get for the E30 but with different spring rates .
        You should also be able to get just the fronts for around $200 from GC .

Of course you can get cheaper stuff from other vendors or even off of eBay .
        Be aware that most of the no name eBay stuff will be of lesser quality though .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

I did pretty much the same with mine... it's better than spending all that cash for a complete setup for the front.

Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

OK, where can I find those adjustable perches?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Diego, what front struts are those?? I've never seen a two-piece front strut setup like that for a BMW, where the hub carrier is separate from the strut-housing.

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
              I did pretty much the same with mine... it's better than spending all that cash for a complete setup for the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                OK, where can I find those adjustable perches?
                ebay. Just type in "coilover" and lowest price first.

srsly. it is worth it to buy a whole kit just for the sleeves and nuts. you can do 2 cars with one kit.

Use 6" eibach springs front and rear with aftermarket camber plates up front and put the spring on the stock perches in the back. no adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by NickS View Post
                  Diego, what front struts are those?? I've never seen a two-piece front strut setup like that for a BMW, where the hub carrier is separate from the strut-housing.

These are e36 shocks, I cutted the top, pulled offf the main body of the shock, cleaned up all inside of the body, welded a thread inside, made the cap to adjust the insert shock of the e30 ( Koni) and wahlaaaaa, that final product.

The only downside is that it is little more taller than standar e30 shock/strut, but we will see what happens in the road.
                  Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Who makes this stuff?

Sleeves and adjusters. Who knows who really makes this stuff? Places in China, Eastern Europe (Bilstein), etc. It's like the Hondas and Toyotos that are "made" in the US. Soon BMW's!

Comment

Originally posted by 1991 318is View Post
                      Sleeves and adjusters. Who knows who really makes this stuff? Places in China, Eastern Europe (Bilstein), etc. It's like the Hondas and Toyotos that are "made" in the US. Soon BMW's!
                      http://www.pitstopusa.com/Categories.aspx?ID=3382
                      Lautamäki motorsport her in Finland sells this kind of sets and pieces:

I Know that they are made in England, but not by who and who sells them over there.

My fronts are made with that kit.
                      Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                      BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
                      BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
                      BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                        The kit you listed is a complete set with shocks and camber plates and everything .

You can get just the coil-over conversion parts from GC for around $400 or so to convert your struts to coil-overs and still use your inserts to reduce the cost .
                        Heres the LINK for the E30 conversion kit .
                        Thank you for the tips! :) I do need - well most of it...but not all of it. I need shocks too when I go that route. I see they are all sold out of Koni's, that sucks. I will have to look around.
                        '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking this set:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=540/CA=8

i got the full kit mentioned above and didnt cut the lower spring perch, my threaded sleeve sits on the lower spring perch. is this an issue? also, i noticed that it is difficult to adjust the sleeve all the way down when resting on the lower perch. is this a known issue?
                          '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                          '91 SpecE30 #523
                          '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

Can you post pics of how the rear setup works? I drive a vw so the front is the same as the rear but i'll be in an e30 soon.
                            I'm looking for a 325is/ix in the PNW. Let me know what you've got.

Comment

Here's a good question, why don't they make custom strut housings for coilover kits for E30's. It was so easy with my e36...1.take out of box 2. Bolt on
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mazur View Post
                                Here's a good question, why don't they make custom strut housings for coilover kits for E30's. It was so easy with my e36...1.take out of box 2. Bolt on
                                e30's have the spindle integral to the strut.

Comment

Working...
                                X