• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Euro Trim

DIY: Make your own Euro Trim

Tools, Products, and Preparations:

Tools:

1. Flathead screwdriver (too remove trim from bumper)

2. Scissors (to cut fiberglass mat)

3. Paint Brush you can afford to ruin = $0.50

Products:

1. Assorted Sandpaper (80, 180, 320/400) = $4

2. Bondo Body Filler = $12

3. Bondo-Hair Body Filler = $12

4. Bondo brand fiberglass repair kit w/ mat = $10

5. Primer = $2.50

6. Bumper Paint (Dupli-Color or SEM) = $5

Prep:

1. Respirator or well ventalated are - (Fiberglass resin fumes = Bad)

2. Nitril Gloves (10 Pack) = $1

Total Cost = 47.00

Estimated Time = 5hrs or 2.5hrs per bumper

Step 1:

Remove Plastic Trim and brace it with a table vice to something similar.

Step 2:

Clean back of the trim and scuff with 180 grit sandpaper around the inside of the marker hole.

Step 3:

Cut 2 Pieces of fiberglass mat from the repair kit. Make them slightly bigger than the side marker hole then mix the fiberglass resin according the directions and paint some fiberglass resin around the hole.

Step 4:

Place the fiberglass mat on top of the side marker hole over the area you just painted with the resin. Using the same paint brush start applying thin layers and saturate the mat with fiberglass resin. Once the first mat is thoroughly saturated apply the 2nd piece of mat and repeat.

Step 5:

Once the fiberglass has finished setting up, use some 80 grit sand paper to scuff up the area around the marker hole on the outside of the trim.

Step 6:

Mix up the Bondo-Hair accroding the directions and apply it to the outside marker hole.

Step 7:

Using some 80 grit sandpaper, start working the high spots off the Bondo-Hair once it starts to get 75% finished setting up. (Should be slightly soft) - * I recommend using DA sander, it will but sanding time in more than half * BTW. If you wait until the Bondo-Hair is 100% finished setting up then it will be hell to sand.

Step 8:

Finish the Bondo-Hair area with some 180 grit sandpaper by hand. Be sure to lightly sand in vertical and horizontal directions to match the curvature of the trim. Use your hands and your eyes to determine when you have it just right.

Step 9:

Mix up regular Bondo body filler and apply in a thin but long layer over the area where we just sanded down the Bondo-Hair. This is used to fill in any imperfections in the Bondo-Hair and also to help feather the area out around the lines of the outside marker hole.

Step 10:

Use 80 grit sandpaper to sand off the high spots and 180 grit to work it down smooth. Don't knock off too much Bondo to where you can see the lines of the marker hole because then you sanded it down too much. I lightly used 180 grit with my DA sander. Once you are satisfied with the shape of the area use 400 grit sandpaper and very lightly sand the entire area to give it a very smooth finish.

Step 11:

Wash the trim with soap & water, dry, and then apply a coat of primer. Once the primer is dry (20 mins) then wet sand with 320-400 grit sandpaper. The picture below shows one after wet sanding (left) and one that has just been primered. (right)

Step 12:

Paint using Dupli Color Black Bumper Paint (or SEM Bumper Paint). Spray 2-3 light coats of paint giving it 30 mins dry time each coat. This stuff drys pretty fast but be sure that you first coat is dry before applying a second one.

The first picture is my rear bumper trim and the second picture is my front driver's side trim.

Fin
    Last edited by RobertK; 10-15-2006, 09:03 PM.

Good job. How long did the whole thing take?

1989 325iX
    1995 540i
    1986 325eS R.I.P.
    1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

I was thinking about that. I'd like to see how it lasts
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

That looks pretty damn good!

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
          I was thinking about that. I'd like to see how it lasts
          Still adding text.. to create the DIY part. (Accidentally hit Save Post when I meant to hit "Preview")

It should hold up fine. I was bending and twisting it the whole time. Plus that and the fact that it held up to a DA sander without cracking is a testiment to how well the Bondo-Hair holds up.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed View Post
            That looks pretty damn good!
            x2.. can someone tip me in about what the blue stuff was? cuz his instructions stopped after the bondo hair.. heh

edit: by the time i posted this, ritalin had already posted why there was no text.. haha so i'll just wait

Comment

yeah bondo is great stuff, just don't punch the trim and you will prob be fine
              ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
                yeah bondo is great stuff, just don't punch the trim and you will prob be fine
                Actually you could probably bump into it pretty good. The Bondo-Hair is not regular bondo it is fiberglass resin and long thin strands of fiberglass mixed together. It has the consistancy of pulling nasty hair from a shower drain but once it's set up it holds up strong and is meant to be flexible.

I will post up pictures once I get it back on the car but that will not happen until after I have it painted.
                Last edited by RobertK; 10-15-2006, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Wow, that's a genious idea. Screw spending money on it, when I can do it myself. I'll do this when I have the resources...for now, I must keep my lame us trim. lol
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

pretty nice work you have there! :)
                    sigpic

Comment

wow, thats f'in awesome!
                      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Nice work, dood.

Kitty hair fucking ROCKS for that kind of shit.

IMHO, "Bondo" brand blows. Switch to Kitty Hair, by Evercoat. You will be impressed.

I like their "Bondo" best too, but a lot of guys like "Featherweight".

"Bondo" brand is now the stuff of WalMart. There is worse out there, but next time try the Evercoat.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          Nice work, dood.

Kitty hair fucking ROCKS for that kind of shit.

IMHO, "Bondo" brand blows. Switch to Kitty Hair, by Evercoat. You will be impressed.

I like their "Bondo" best too, but a lot of guys like "Featherweight".

"Bondo" brand is now the stuff of WalMart. There is worse out there, but next time try the Evercoat.

Luke
                          Do any regular stores sell teh Evercoat stuff? A have friend that is a retired body man who suggested Kitty Hair from Evercoat. In this project I used what I already had on hand.

Comment

Very nice just hope the tabs aren't fragile while removing them from the bumper. This way you don't need to purchase new side molding.

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert View Post
                              Very nice just hope the tabs aren't fragile while removing them from the bumper. This way you don't need to purchase new side molding.
                              It's almost impossible to not break atleast one or 2 tabs in the process of removing the trim. Just be sure to take your time, remove each bumper, and use a screwdriver to try and push each tab out. Do not try removing the trim by prying it off from the outside.

Comment

Working...
                              X