DIY: Euro Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid View Post
    Do any regular stores sell teh Evercoat stuff? A have friend that is a retired body man who suggested Kitty Hair from Evercoat. In this project I used what I already had on hand.
    AFAIK, Evercoat is only available to Body Shop Supply stores, so hit them yeller payges.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

It's almost impossible to not break atleast one or 2 tabs in the process of removing the trim. Just be sure to take your time, remove each bumper, and use a screwdriver to try and push each tab out. Do not try removing the trim by prying it off from the outside.
      Yea, what he said. Thing about it is - they come off pretty easily if you pop out each one with a screw driver.
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

you might want to use something thats made for plastic and is made to be flexable instead of the regular bondo. Like http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=8 that. that stuff is made to flex. Ive had problems with bondo and regular spot filler cracking in parts that flex even the littlest bit. Its just a thought to keep the stuff from cracking and ruining all the work you may have done.
        -Chris

Comment

If I ever have to do this again I probably will but I've yet to have a problem with the "Ultimate" lightweight Bondo for small surface fills or surface skimming.

Comment

I have to say again, that really looks great. Maybe one of these days if I get in an ambitious body work mood again, I'll tackle this. We're so close to being done with my bumper swap that I don't want to do anymore fiberglass or fill work. We have to fill a couple of little chunks where Andy tagged the bumper skin with the cutting wheel when removing excess epoxy, and that's all the more fill work I really feel like doing. :D

Comment

awsome looks nice

Comment

Nice work. Too much in fact for me though. Sometimes it's worth it to just spend the money in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimble View Post
                  Nice work. Too much in fact for me though. Sometimes it's worth it to just spend the money in the first place.
                  That's what I'm saying. Not to say that your method isn't awesome, but I'll probably just pick up a euro set used at some point and do the chop again.

Comment

I am definetly going to do this. I am a plasterer by trade so it shouldnt be too much different, haha

Comment

I guess it all depends on how skilled you are working with body filler and fiberglass. I'm a natural though most of the time you spend on this project is waiting for the Bondo or fiberglass to set up or paint to dry. I spent most of my time watching the Titans game while waited for my stuff to set or dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed View Post
                        That's what I'm saying. Not to say that your method isn't awesome, but I'll probably just pick up a euro set used at some point and do the chop again.
                        That doesn't make too much sense for the rear, why modify another set?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

It's almost impossible to not break atleast one or 2 tabs in the process of removing the trim. Just be sure to take your time, remove each bumper, and use a screwdriver to try and push each tab out. Do not try removing the trim by prying it off from the outside.
                          I actually found that if you use a thin flexible 1" wide putty knife slid between the trim and the bumper, you can pop the trim out from the outside better then popping it from the back. Just put the putt knife in where there is a clip and gently pry away from the trim. Works great. Just make sure the putty knife is in far enough to push the clip in.

Comment

nice write-up. looks like they came out pretty damn good. BUT, as mentioned above, materials are ~$47, OEM is ~$100. for you college kids i guess this would be acool 5hr project in spare time, but for us full-timers, i know i make more than $10/hour, so buying OEM is the way to go...maybe some1 with buttloads of spare time could make/sell these things for like $75 and make some pocket change...
                            IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                              I actually found that if you use a thin flexible 1" wide putty knife slid between the trim and the bumper, you can pop the trim out from the outside better then popping it from the back. Just put the putt knife in where there is a clip and gently pry away from the trim. Works great. Just make sure the putty knife is in far enough to push the clip in.
                              That's good info to know. I think I might give that a try next time.

Comment

dude, wheres tha new pics at mannnn????
                                1991 318is : BrilliantRot

Comment

Working...
                                X