No announcement yet.

Bumpers, bumpers, bumpers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As seen on eBay. The front bumper strip replacement for the early bumpers. It is rumored that there are tens of thousands of these early US silver bumpers in service today.
    The front bumper strip, called M31 was designed in 1985 to correct the visual deficiency on cars without a front license plate. It's a black plastic injection molded trim part, engineered to purposely fix the gap left when removal of the front license plate bracket is pereformed. Installs into the exisiting car bumper holes with supplied wing nuts, (fasteners).
    Note: Alloy alummium BMW bumpers are DOT rated 10 mph, whereas the BMW plastic bumpers are DOT rated 5 mph. The silver bumpers are the BLING, baby! They are paintable, too...
    This post is just an FYI for members. This M31 part was out of circulation for 7 years and it's back by popular demand. Thank you.
    Last edited by unicorn; 03-21-2010, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Rear bumper plastic (rubber) trim above rear DB

I want to know if anyone has done anything to correct the gap that is created between the diving board and the trim that is above the diving board, after the bumper is tucked. Thanks

Comment

so a friend of mine who picked up an 88 325i coupe bought some plastic bumpers from craigslist and put them on. However he is saying that the connector for the front turn signal light is not the same? He said something about one part is triangle shaped and other is not?

Comment

I want to know if anyone has done anything to correct the gap that is created between the diving board and the trim that is above the diving board, after the bumper is tucked. Thanks
          bump for this info

Comment

Originally posted by Mike30e View Post
            bump for this info

heat gun?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by joonsup View Post
              so a friend of mine who picked up an 88 325i coupe bought some plastic bumpers from craigslist and put them on. However he is saying that the connector for the front turn signal light is not the same? He said something about one part is triangle shaped and other is not?
              Correct. The plastic bumper turn signal housing uses a different connector than the diving board one.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
              i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
              Originally posted by slammin.e28
              Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                Correct. The plastic bumper turn signal housing uses a different connector than the diving board one.

so can you tell me which connector my friend needs? i'm having trouble finding the part number for the 89-91 front turn signal wiring.

Comment

i'm pretty sure it's 61 13 1 378 410. i'd just go clip two from the yard if i were you, though.

Moral of this story?

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                    i'm pretty sure it's 61 13 1 378 410. i'd just go clip two from the yard if i were you, though.

wouldnt i need to find a plastic bumper e30 in order to get the clips from that car then? It's hard to find plastic bumper e30s at the junkyards in my area...at least when i last checked

Comment

So I am just confirming before I drop a few hundred on plastic bumpers.... The 88 ix is the same as the other 88 cars, correct? Plastic bumpers are direct bolt on?
                      WTB late model, anywhere on the east coast will go as far west as Texas for the right car at the right price. 5 speed 6cyl only.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid." - Han Solo

Comment

Originally posted by jeffesaurusrex View Post
                        So I am just confirming before I drop a few hundred on plastic bumpers.... The 88 ix is the same as the other 88 cars, correct? Plastic bumpers are direct bolt on?
                        assuming you get the correct slider brackets that go with them, yes it is a direct swap. make sure you get the turn signal plugs.

Moral of this story?

Comment

Maybe I missed it (have tried searching on different terms) but is there a good front euro bumper install thread like this one for the rear bumper?

Following this one for the rear bumper helped me a lot. Now I have the valence, brackets, bumper, and misc fasteners to do the front but was hoping for something step by step with pics (and part #'s) to make sure I have what I need before taking the plunge.
                          cars: E12 M535i, E30 325is, E46 325xiT 5spd

Comment

The front bumper is super easy to install. Go to realoem.com to check if you have everything before you start.

Comment

Alright, removed the front US-spec iS airdam and DB bumper today. I'm a bit confused here. Is this euro valence supposed to replace the US one that's still on the car in this picture? I see where it comes off of the front of the fender via that one screw bolt, but if I remove the rest of it, then the metal ridge that runs along the underside of the grilles will be gone from what I see. Or am I missing something?

The euro valence isn't supposed to lay OVER the lower piece still on the car in these pics right?

cars: E12 M535i, E30 325is, E46 325xiT 5spd

Comment

^^ you have the later model US valence, which is one piece with the bit that runs under the grilles. Earlier ones are two-piece, and the early euro one you have is two-piece also.

I ran into the same problem when I did mine. I ended up just cutting off my US valence's top bar thing and leaving it on the car when I put my euro valence on.
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X