No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 1.9 is like 5mm shorter than stock...so is the m3. The z3 1.9 and m3 shifter are very similar, with the m3 shifter's throw being a tad shorter/notchier. try them both, it all comes down to personal preference and how much force you want to use to shift.

my goal is to find a low effort, short throw shifter, high precision shifter. UUC delrin carrier bushings help alot in the precision part. still looking for the right shifter...
    Last edited by blueapplesoda; 08-29-2006, 01:54 PM.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

just got a New Shifter today!

z4 2.5 Very small shift lever, short appearance, medium-short throw, Best of the short-look shifters w/o modification. Havent been locked out yet, need to test more.

Comment

To everyone, what bushings if any did you replace while the lever was off? Part number or link available?
        "Full throttle till you see god, then brake hard"

90' 325i f0 door
        06 Kawi ZX6R

Comment

read the starting post bro.

4x . . . 25 11 1 220 439 - Spacer Rings (two extra)
          1x . . . 25 11 1 220 832 - Rubber Bearing sleeve (could be replaced with UUC Delrin Bushings)i highly reccomend this delrin bushing, make sure u buy round one
          2x . . . 25 11 1 220 379 - Circlips $0.50 (one extra)
          1x . . . 25 11 1 220 600 - Nylon Shift Bushing - $4.00

Comment

bma also sells a short shift kit, call them and ask them if u can order the kit without the lever, or if you want a lever, call them and tell them which lever you want to substitute (for theirs), and theyll do it...itll be aroun 70 with a lever from bma or so.

Comment

Originally posted by JoelRKaplan View Post
              hey Aaron,
              I picked up the new version also...... the vendor said it does NOT use the "washers"....Im thinking its the washers that go on either side where the linkage rod attaches thru the hole at the bottom of shift lever....did you omit those in the install??/////..hope Im clear in my wording...Im too lazy to look at realoem to use the proper terms.... are you happy w/ the lever?..... Im still considering AutoSolutions in addition.........tia!
              Just did this last night finally (well, still doing it, as the car is still in parts). The 'new" Z3 1.9 shifter does omit the yellow washers on either side. That is the only difference. I still have to bend my selector rod - as it is hitting the harmonic balancer.
              Aaron

Comment

z3 1.9 lever....

I posted some pics of my knob a few weeks back...but cant locate the thread. Here are some pics w/ Z3 lever sanded down and painted w/ dupli-color platinum......ready for install.

I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

My z4 2.5i shifter, i love it.

and i shortened it an extra 1/2 inch. combined with a shorter shift knob, and its wonderful.

Recommended.

Comment

Recent Short Shift Install

After much deliberation and study of the threads in this forum regarding this short shifters, I finally made a decision.

I chose the Z3 2.8 for my 1990 E30 325i. Install took about an hour but could actually be done in about 30-45 minutes. Short throw, BMW parts, and no bending made this the perfect choice for me. Slightly notchy but little effort needed for shifting.

Mine is a daily driver which I also take to DE's for fun. Dinan suspension, Racing Dynamics CAI, Bilsteins, Perf. Chip, BAVauto perf. plug wires, Bosch +4 plugs and Ireland Strut Brace. I purchased the kit from BMA who sent me a 1.9 by mistake but corrected the mistake quickly so I am pleased with their service.

The difference is huge and I was having a blast driving until my recent ujoint issue. New driveshaft on the way along with some Redline MTF with hopes of an even smoother shift experience.

The feedback from this forum was invaluable and I thank all of you for your input.

See you on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
                      the 1.9 is like 5mm shorter than stock...so is the m3. The z3 1.9 and m3 shifter are very similar, with the m3 shifter's throw being a tad shorter/notchier. try them both, it all comes down to personal preference and how much force you want to use to shift.

my goal is to find a low effort, short throw shifter, high precision shifter. UUC delrin carrier bushings help alot in the precision part. still looking for the right shifter...
                      Only 5mm shorter ? That's about 1/4" or is that a typo ?
                      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I've read this post through 3 times, but I can't remember a goddamn thing on it. So don't get mad when I write this, if it's been covered before.

Got myself an e36 m3 shifter. Mesa said that this was a common deal with e30s. Works really well. Not too super short. But def. shorter than stock.

I had to remove my harmonic balancer. It was rubbing like a mother for a good week or so. Stupid me decided to get a 1 piece straight pipe. I had to reweld my exhaust. Btw, I decided to be a cool guy and took out that rubber piece that goes between the tranny and the drive shaft, when I was removing my harmonic. Wasn't a good idea. Everything was vibrating like a mother. Incase any of you want to do a moronic thing like me. Btw, I put it back on.
                        My drinking team, has a racing problem.

Anyone have an aquarium? If you want fish, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by rlabair View Post
                          After much deliberation and study of the threads in this forum regarding this short shifters, I finally made a decision.

I chose the Z3 2.8 for my 1990 E30 325i. Install took about an hour but could actually be done in about 30-45 minutes. Short throw, BMW parts, and no bending made this the perfect choice for me. Slightly notchy but little effort needed for shifting.

Mine is a daily driver which I also take to DE's for fun. Dinan suspension, Racing Dynamics CAI, Bilsteins, Perf. Chip, BAVauto perf. plug wires, Bosch +4 plugs and Ireland Strut Brace. I purchased the kit from BMA who sent me a 1.9 by mistake but corrected the mistake quickly so I am pleased with their service.

The difference is huge and I was having a blast driving until my recent ujoint issue. New driveshaft on the way along with some Redline MTF with hopes of an even smoother shift experience.

The feedback from this forum was invaluable and I thank all of you for your input.

See you on the road.

jus curious to know where you are getting drive shaft.
                          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I am shocked to understand why some of you guys are LOWERING your levers?

I use X5 3.0. I have tried all the rest, this is the best.

Comment

I personally like my shift knob to be low down. I like the way it looks, and I like the feel of it being short and chunky.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed View Post
                                I personally like my shift knob to be low down. I like the way it looks, and I like the feel of it being short and chunky.

Are you running the Z4 3.0? I have the 2.5 and still need to get it installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X