Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristeun View Post
    First problem is it seems like there's no way I could put on the circlip onto the selector rod if I use one of those yellow spacer rings, and in the instructions I was following it says I have to use 2 :letitout: (1 on each side). The shift rod's ends don't stick out far enough for the circlip to attach with the rings. ??? And I never found the original rings either. Should I just not use them?
    Some shift levers already have these bushings built in. If any material sticks out beyond the metal of the base, then it has them built in.

Also, the circlip doesn't seem to slide on completely, but maybe halfway. I tried prying it open a little but same thing. You should be able to turn it once its installed right?
    It will go on all the way and should be a tight fit (you dont want it to move around and create slop). You will be able to turn it though.

And do I have to replace the circlip/rings on the other side of the selector rod as well (front of car)? Looks really hard to reach and if so I think I'm just gonna take it to a shop.
    That's up to you. I wouldnt take it to a shop if you are already in that deep.

I recently put a Z3M shifter in my 318is. The linkage felt good before, so I didnt replace any of the bushings. It feels much better than my 325es. I replaced all of the bushings in the 325es, and with the same Z3M shifter, it is a bit more notchy than I'd like.

Comment

I just installed a Z3 1.9 shifter, amazing feeling, notchy and short. It could use a bend to the right, on hard shifts to second it's easy to get caught up in the spring for reverse.
      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
        Some shift levers already have these bushings built in. If any material sticks out beyond the metal of the base, then it has them built in.

It will go on all the way and should be a tight fit (you dont want it to move around and create slop). You will be able to turn it though.
        Ahh I see.

But so the circlip being on not all the way can make the shifter more sloppy? I sort of assumed they just either hold the selector rod in place or don't.

Because strangely when I first installed the kit and went for a quick drive the throws were super short and direct. After though I disconnected the selector rod again trying to get the rings on and it just never felt the same after reconnecting it, so maybe its because I got the circlip on right the first time. Throws are just a bit less short than stock but it is still very direct and firm.

Sorry for being a total noob.
        88 325is

Comment

i just bought a $36 (shipped) b&m style solid shifter off ebay. B&M style meaning, it has the machined UUC ERK style insert that fits in the stock shift platform (late cast aluminum style, what many refer to as the "console").

Anyway, once it arrives and I get it in, I'll report on its feel, etc. 95% of the reason why i bought it was to get the pivot-raising "ERK" thing, without paying UUC prices.

Comment

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
            i just bought a $36 (shipped) b&m style solid shifter off ebay. B&M style meaning, it has the machined UUC ERK style insert that fits in the stock shift platform (late cast aluminum style, what many refer to as the "console").

Anyway, once it arrives and I get it in, I'll report on its feel, etc. 95% of the reason why i bought it was to get the pivot-raising "ERK" thing, without paying UUC prices.
            okay here it is:

just copying what i wrote in the other thread...

It is a B&M style "race" shifter meaning it has the blue anodized "ERK" thing that raises the pivot ball (thats the B&M part) and no rubber isolator in the shifter itself (the "race") part.

Seems decent enough if you were indeed going to use it in a race car like it is, but I only purchased it for the anodized riser piece, and plan to use a Z4 or X5 3.0 shifter in place of the solid ebay shifter. HOPEFULLY the pivot balls are the same size.

This one, if i installed it, would rattle and vibrate like hell since there is a definite gap between the shifter and pivot ball itself (they are a two-piece assembly). for a true race car probably nobody would care, and the rattling is probably fixable with a thin bushing or washer between the circlip and pivot ball, OR by taking it apart, smearing some epoxy on the shifter shaft, then putting the pivot ball back on it.

The pivot ball is nice and tight in the riser "cup" thing itself, and HOPEFULLY its the same size or close enough to the BMW sized balls (HEH :P)

ive since been informed that the pivot ball *is* the same size as the BMW shifter ball/s, so now I just need to find me a CHEAP z3 //M shifter...

Comment

I just need to find me a CHEAP z3 //M shifter...
              $50 at the BMW dealership. Look on the first page of this thread for the part number. It will end in ...254. I've had them in 3 of my cars and it is the perfect shifter in my opinion, especially for the money.

Comment

okay here it is:

just copying what i wrote in the other thread...

It is a B&M style "race" shifter meaning it has the blue anodized "ERK" thing that raises the pivot ball (thats the B&M part) and no rubber isolator in the shifter itself (the "race") part.

Seems decent enough if you were indeed going to use it in a race car like it is, but I only purchased it for the anodized riser piece, and plan to use a Z4 or X5 3.0 shifter in place of the solid ebay shifter. HOPEFULLY the pivot balls are the same size.

This one, if i installed it, would rattle and vibrate like hell since there is a definite gap between the shifter and pivot ball itself (they are a two-piece assembly). for a true race car probably nobody would care, and the rattling is probably fixable with a thin bushing or washer between the circlip and pivot ball, OR by taking it apart, smearing some epoxy on the shifter shaft, then putting the pivot ball back on it.

The pivot ball is nice and tight in the riser "cup" thing itself, and HOPEFULLY its the same size or close enough to the BMW sized balls (HEH :P)

ive since been informed that the pivot ball *is* the same size as the BMW shifter ball/s, so now I just need to find me a CHEAP z3 //M shifter...

How is that blue anodized piece secured into the "console" or "shift lever carrier" looks like it's just kept in there with O-rings?

Comment

Originally posted by tonytony View Post
                  How is that blue anodized piece secured into the "console" or "shift lever carrier" looks like it's just kept in there with O-rings?

It comes with a snap ring that installs from the bottom, holding it into the carrier.

Comment

i see, how much was the ssk from ebay?

Comment

Originally posted by tonytony View Post
                      i see, how much was the ssk from ebay?

about $35 including shipping.

Comment

installed a z4 2.5 last night and love it! i didnt have to bend it and as far as i know i havent had any rubbing on my HB. installed in an 89 325i. compared to stock its night and day!! notchier, shorter, tighter. just how i like her/them! id recommend stock piling your mods like i have over almost a year and doing them all in two days. its like buying a new car. steering rack, tierods, LCA's, springs, shocks, bushings, m3 rear bucket, short shifter, wheels and tires. mmmm. much thanks to elliot (e30trash) and patrick for their help and time.
                        www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

Originally posted by lowlightbw View Post
                          installed a z4 2.5 last night and love it! i didnt have to bend it and as far as i know i havent had any rubbing on my HB. installed in an 89 325i. compared to stock its night and day!! notchier, shorter, tighter. just how i like her/them! id recommend stock piling your mods like i have over almost a year and doing them all in two days. its like buying a new car. steering rack, tierods, LCA's, springs, shocks, bushings, m3 rear bucket, short shifter, wheels and tires. mmmm. much thanks to elliot (e30trash) and patrick for their help and time.

cool, thats what im going to do... get through winter and then do a lot of stuff, like a nice drop, the ssk, and maybe some bily HDs if i can find a good used set. also prolly re-do my stereo then too. :)

Comment

this has probaly already been covered but this thread has 36pages. how long does it take to replace an e30 shifter and are there any realy good links to show how do it?
                            86 325e limo
                            build thread
                            http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=126204

Comment

Originally posted by alpinweib30 View Post
                              this has probaly already been covered but this thread has 36pages. how long does it take to replace an e30 shifter and are there any realy good links to show how do it?

=p

Comment

Ive been using that blue ebay shifter for about a year and half now and i love it, and if you wanna get one, make sure it comes with orings and a bunch of snap rings, cause i got the purple one and it didnt come with anything, so i had to buy the blue one with all the parts, lesson learnt. i love it for the most part, more direct feeling rather than squishy stock shifters.... except that snap ring holding the gold ball on the shifter diggs into the the nylon bushing, and it makes my chrome shift knob get a bit warm. but w/e its all good.

Because it comes with that riser cup, it's by far the best shifter for the money. BTW that cup makes a world of difference for those used to the super notchy feeling of the super short shifters.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                                PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Working...
                                X