No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So there is too much material bunched up for the knob to fit all the way down? If you turn your boot inside out is there a long stretch of straight you can trim before it flairs out for the boot?
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
      So there is too much material bunched up for the knob to fit all the way down? If you turn your boot inside out is there a long stretch of straight you can trim before it flairs out for the boot?
      Yep. Hence: modification. :)

I am running without it because mine is torn and I don't mind the extra transmission noise (plus, bare BMW shifters look cool). I will probably replace it a little later on down the road.

Comment

I have done ALL my homework and have read all 40 pages of this thread. I have a remaining question that someone else brought up. Why isn't there more feedback on using the E36 M3 shift lever? Its throw is just a bit shorter than the Z3 1.9L and it stands taller in the cabin. OE part # is 25117527247 and it's not available from BMA in their online catalogue. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is there a reason this is so hard to track down? I'm sure the Z3 lever would be sufficient for my needs but I'm thinking a slighter taller shifter might be more to my liking. Any more information lurking out there?
        sigpic
        1990 Schwarz 325i coupe

Comment

Originally posted by stevehecht View Post
          I have done ALL my homework and have read all 40 pages of this thread. I have a remaining question that someone else brought up. Why isn't there more feedback on using the E36 M3 shift lever? Its throw is just a bit shorter than the Z3 1.9L and it stands taller in the cabin. OE part # is 25117527247 and it's not available from BMA in their online catalogue. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is there a reason this is so hard to track down? I'm sure the Z3 lever would be sufficient for my needs but I'm thinking a slighter taller shifter might be more to my liking. Any more information lurking out there?
          PM blunt or email steve at blunttech dot com to order BMW parts, he can usually get some good prices.

I think the Z3 shifter is just right for most people, just a tiny bit shorter is nice, with a short shifter, front-to-back throw is angularly reduced but side to side movement is not, so the only way to reduce that is to shorten the shifter. The Z3 is just slightly shorter side-to-side and just right fore-and-aft.

Comment

Okay, I got through a good number of these pages, and I didn't really see anything on the UUC SSK going onto an M42 powered E30 318ic (without A/C), or a BMP Design SSK going on an M42 powered E30 318is (with A/C)

First of all, the UUC SSK onto my E30 318ic:

My vert doesn't have airconditioning, so it has a balancer on the guibo. By having the guibo with the extra ring around it, the car comes stock with a bent selector rod (Part #25111221250) for clearance. No need for modification, and it's marginally cheaper than buying a straight rod and bending it. The kit comes with a relocator ring for the pivot ball. Ball bearings are fixed in place instead of brass or delerin bushings at the end of the shifter. The kit also includes a set of delerin bushings for the front carrier bracket (where the bitch clip is). The shifter has rubber inside to isolate vibration... this has no effect on how sturdy the shift feels. The height of the shift knob is adjustable. Direct install. The feel for the shift is strong and mostly effortless. After having this in my car for about 3 years now, the shift is very smooth. I love it!! Make me happy I spent a good 2 hours installing it (Damn bitch clip!!!!!) Combined with a UUC clutch stop, I can bang though the gears in no time.

Now, the BMP SSK onto my E30 318is:

My 318is has A/C, so no balancer on the guibo. The kit looks like this:

The kit is actually for a 1992 E34 525i, but all the dimensions are the same, surprisingly enough. There's no rubber to reduce vibration in the shift lever... it seems to be filled with resin. Very sturdy. Height is not adjustable, bushings are delerin, and it comes with a very heavy duty selector rod, and tranny selector. Carrier ball bushing does not get relocated, so the end of the shift lever comes very close to the drive shaft, but never touches. New rear carrier bushing was installed with this kit to make sure the shifter would never contact the drive shaft. Direct install. But I don't like it. It cost about 1/3 less that the UUC kit, but fails in comparison so far. It's been in for about a month now and has become slightly less notchy. it's just not as precise and smooth. definately a shorter shift... actually shorter than the UUC, and only took about 20 minutes to install.

Overall, I think that the UUC SSK is a 10 out of 10 for my application if price is no object. For a hundred bucks, the BMP SSK definately shortens the shift without relocating the carrier ball socket, and a hell of a lot cheaper that UUC.

Comment

hey guys
              I installed the z3 1.9 lever with all new bushings and a weighted selector rod.
              I love it.

time for a new shift knob

I really like the zhp cut and weighted shift knobs
              I beleive that they dont have little grub screws to screw them down can anyone confirm?
              I believe its a press fit like the orginal e30 knob.
              since the z3 lever starts getting wider a lot closer to the top of the lever compared to the stock lever.

Is there enough room to press the shift knob on and have room for the shift boot?

here is a link to the shift knob
              Last edited by iwantspeed; 08-28-2009, 10:53 AM.

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

Thought i would submit my new experience with the X5 shifter.

The shifter comes with a large angle and should be straightened for proper positioning. There are a number of ways to do the bend and it should have a couple degrees left in it. The picture is taken from front of car perspective.

The other shifter pictured is a stock 325i shifter. The fore-back throw is shorter compared to the stock while left to right (2nd to 3rd) is noticable but not at all uncomforatable. The 1.5 inch height increase is awkward at first but really does feel like it should have been like that originally. The configuration is in short, fun.

With X5 shifter, washers of any kind are not needed due to wider bushing core. Fit is snug.

Balancer removed.

Comment

In-cabin shots of the X5 shifter?

Comment

I personally like the longer lever but less throw(ie more length below the ball). My z3 1.9 is good enough.

Nio är livets tal.

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                      hey guys
                      I installed the z3 1.9 lever with all new bushings and a weighted selector rod.
                      I love it.

time for a new shift knob

I really like the zhp cut and weighted shift knobs
                      I beleive that they dont have little grub screws to screw them down can anyone confirm?
                      I believe its a press fit like the orginal e30 knob.
                      since the z3 lever starts getting wider a lot closer to the top of the lever compared to the stock lever.

Is there enough room to press the shift knob on and have room for the shift boot?

here is a link to the shift knob
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...&highlight=zhp
                      i'm in the same boat as this guy (zhp knob on the way and debating on a 1.9 shifter). any answers?

92 White Mtech Vert

Comment

Originally posted by PootieTang View Post
                        i'm in the same boat as this guy (zhp knob on the way and debating on a 1.9 shifter). any answers?
                        pm me if you find a solution or find a measurement on how far the knob goes down.

when the knob comes in, can you take a measurement of the length of it.
                        and a measurement of how far the inner hole for the shift lever shaft is.
                        thanks a lot.
                        then I could order my shift knob

-
                        Project
                        Parts for Sale
                        Feedback
                        YouTube Channel

Comment

it was heavy reading but after reading every page i decided on the 1.9 and the zhp knob. ill update this weekend hopefully if i get it on

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                            pm me if you find a solution or find a measurement on how far the knob goes down.

when the knob comes in, can you take a measurement of the length of it.
                            and a measurement of how far the inner hole for the shift lever shaft is.
                            thanks a lot.
                            then I could order my shift knob
                            will do, and hopefully bz will update us as well

92 White Mtech Vert

Comment

so many choices so much info... the stock shifter on my s52 swap is really close to the drivershaft. I want a really short, really precise (i like notchy shifters) that will not hit my driveshaft.... Z4 2.5i?

sean selling them what is this?
                              No more e30s for me.
                              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                              91 BMW 325i [sold]
                              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

I suspect the ZHP shift knob will fit fine on the 1.9 Z3 shifter, as it's a relatively short knob compared to most OEM knobs.

Comment

Working...
                                X