No announcement yet.

Taurus side skirts - modification and installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First car I've seen that I don't like them on. Could be a number of things, not low enough to pull them off, no front lip to flow with them, and they're the wrong color.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
      First car I've seen that I don't like them on. Could be a number of things, not low enough to pull them off, no front lip to flow with them, and they're the wrong color.
      Sorry for you. I think they look great considering what it is. I know the whole car isnt rebuilt yet but it's getting close, which is why I posted this. :)
      Last edited by Spec; 08-06-2007, 02:59 PM.
      1991 BMW E30 318i sedan
      2005 Kawasaki 636cc ZX6-R

PNWRiders.com

Comment

If you like them, rock on with your bad self. No offense intended, just making an observation.

Comment

I kinda agree. I'll have to wait and see them when you are resprayed. Of course the front lip and drop would help.

My car is black, and pretty damn low, so I'm gonna do the LX ones with the slight twist at the front. I gotta go back to Asia for a couple weeks, but be lookin' out for them in a month. :)

"If I were filthy rich I'd still drive my E30."

Comment

I was curious to see what the car would look like with Josh's suggestions, so I did a little photoshop mockup, hope you don't mind Spec.

So what do you think?

Comment

That does look a lot better, the front lip helps it the most, and the drop helps too.

Comment

Originally posted by td325ic View Post
                I was curious to see what the car would look like with Josh's suggestions, so I did a little photoshop mockup, hope you don't mind Spec.

So what do you think?
                Don't mind at all. Yes it looks much better with a front valance and drop. I posted a thread in members ride section. I wrecked this car in 12/05 and have taken my sweet time in repairing it, but besides the front valance and a ring for the 2nd highbeam, I've repaired it all myself. A Mtechnik II front valance will most likely be coming next month. My shocks are starting to wear a tad so those and springs wont be too long to follow. I think, as your photo has shown, that the car will look great once completed again.
                1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spec View Post
                  One of the skirts had a large gash in it, do I melted down some of the trimmed plastic to fitinto the gash.
                  One of mine had a gash about an inch long. I used some plastic epoxy from wal-mart (it is called plastic welder). I filled in the gash and put some extra on just to be safe. Once it dried (about 15 minutes) It was a pain in the ass to sand! I finally used some 60 grit sandpaper to get the excess of then went over it with 220. It is smooth now! Time to primer some more...

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                    One of mine had a gash about an inch long. I used some plastic epoxy from wal-mart (it is called plastic welder). I filled in the gash and put some extra on just to be safe. Once it dried (about 15 minutes) It was a pain in the ass to sand! I finally used some 60 grit sandpaper to get the excess of then went over it with 220. It is smooth now! Time to primer some more...
                    I almost did that but thought (as you said) it would be a pain in the ass to sand, especially because I thought the epoxy would be harder then the plastic itself. Melting the plastic into it and filling with thicker primer did an alright job. You can somewhat tell if you get close and look at it, but from 5 ft it's completely unnoticeable.

Make sure to use a few coats of primer and sand (lightly) between coats and it will look great! Best of luck!

Oh, and I drilled holes in the thin metal strip on the e30. That way I just ziptied through the holes and stock mounting points of the skirts. Worked great.
                    1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

Well boys i think i'll give my FREE (YES FREE!!) TAURUS sideskirts a go on the cabby. I know i know, you say they're too
                      short.....however i think that as low as the car is i'm kinda thinking that unless you are at ground level you might not even notice. AND considering they cost...nothing i guess its just a matter of getting trimmed up and put on . If you live near here on the east coast you know it has been a real hot mother frucker lately so i may wait until it cools down a bit. My reading in the car today 104!!!!
                      Installed pics will be posted as soon as i get around to installing them , hell i guess somebody has to try this out on a cabby!!!
                      :pimp:

Comment

Originally posted by delphini View Post
                        Well boys i think i'll give my FREE (YES FREE!!) TAURUS sideskirts a go on the cabby. I know i know, you say they're too
                        short.....however i think that as low as the car is i'm kinda thinking that unless you are at ground level you might not even notice. AND considering they cost...nothing i guess its just a matter of getting trimmed up and put on . If you live near here on the east coast you know it has been a real hot mother frucker lately so i may wait until it cools down a bit. My reading in the car today 104!!!!
                        Installed pics will be posted as soon as i get around to installing them , hell i guess somebody has to try this out on a cabby!!!
                        All convertable owners will love you for doing this.

1992 BMW 325iC
                        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Well the price was right and if i don't like them no harm done
                          although delphin is a color that is a bit difficult to match up with paint from advance (this isnt worth factory delphin grey) although i'll try to get it pretty close a repaint is somewhere out there in the future.
                          :pimp:

Comment

Spec, I used to have those same wheels you have on my last E30, the one I had before this one. Do you like them or did the car come with them? I remember I bought them just because they were on sale and they were direct fit. I hated them about a month later.

Comment

Spec, I used to have those same wheels you have on my last E30, the one I had before this one. Do you like them or did the car come with them? I remember I bought them just because they were on sale and they were direct fit. I hated them about a month later.

I also bought them because they were one of the only direct-fit rims I could find at the time. I like the rims for the most part, as I think they meet the 'sporty/rally' feel the E30 gives, but I would definitely purchase new rims if I had a few extra G-notes laying around. I am considering painting them to match the car, but I'm going to wait for a good photoshop for that.

My real money gets spent on my bike. Just bought new rims for it recently and totally changed the attitude of the bike, so I might consider selling these (BMW rims) down the road and getting a new pair but it's unlikely as it's far down my list.

1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

Originally posted by delphini View Post
                                Well the price was right and if i don't like them no harm done
                                although delphin is a color that is a bit difficult to match up with paint from advance (this isnt worth factory delphin grey) although i'll try to get it pretty close a repaint is somewhere out there in the future.
                                Don't be a cheap ass, a pint of paint isn't that much :p

1992 BMW 325iC
                                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                                X