No announcement yet.

How to replicate HELLA's smoked ellipsoid technique:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It probably wouldn't be too difficult, just time consuming and tedious to make your own templates that would be close enough to work. The way I'd do it is by cutting up a cereal box and taking as many basic measurements from the reflector as possible and cutting a slightly larger than needed rough cut then setting it in as you trim it little by little. Once it's pretty smooth on each side just copy whichever side is closest (if you hadn't cut them too well symmetrically) onto another piece of box and for the sides cut it a little small then add in that little ledge by the tabs by not cutting it small there. Add a tab in there and you've got yourself a rough template. Remember as long as it's close it'll do the job. All it has to do is prevent the light from bouncing all over the place inside and back out, so if it's not 100% perfect following the reflector curve it shouldn't make that big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdAccord View Post
      damn. i was trying to see if I could use the same template for the crosshairs

If that what the case, you probably can. I broke the backing (reflector part) on the 3 series, and I used the 5 series. I just didn't use the projector part or the housing. But I think you can use the cross hairs.
      I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
      2875-C Towerview Road
      Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

cool. i also have a spare hella ellip from my e32, i wonder if thats the same size, or of any use to anyone
        Originally posted by blunt
        can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

yep, e32, e34, e30 are all the same parts except the e30 has a different plastic frame that holds the lights, and the e30 has different mounting points where the adjusters mount. the lenses are the exact same, as well as the shape of the crosshairs, as well as the ellip backing part.

Comment

Anybody have any suggestions as to the best method to notch the housing for the crosshairs and which tool works best? Thanks
            Photoshop by O 16581 72452 5

Comment

I'd like to know this as well before I start chewing the hell out of these housings with my dremel.

Originally posted by oldskool3 View Post
              Anybody have any suggestions as to the best method to notch the housing for the crosshairs and which tool works best? Thanks
              EDIT: Use a dremel with the cutoffwheel and cut from the outside inward. This will make a larger slot outside, but just a skinny short one on the inside. Works perfectly!!! Make sure you know where to dremel though.
              Last edited by GaryE30; 04-22-2008, 06:31 PM.
              Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Has anyone does this replication with the smileys?
                Benji

'90 M50 + M3 Tranny e30 - SOLD
                '99 528iT (M5 Rep bumper) - SOLD
                '03 ML350 - For Sale

BIMMERLESS at the moment. :???:

Comment

Justin B posted pictures of smiley smoked.
                  Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Satan
                    Last edited by maxel; 05-19-2008, 12:07 PM.
                    Axel
                    BMW 320i Touring (M20B25)

Comment

double post
                      Last edited by maxel; 05-18-2008, 07:44 PM.
                      Axel

Comment

my lenses were being stubborn and wouldn't come off in the oven. i heat gunned them and cracked the lenses. crap!

anyone know where i can get HELLA replacement lenses??????
                        seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                          my lenses were being stubborn and wouldn't come off in the oven. i heat gunned them and cracked the lenses. crap!

anyone know where i can get HELLA replacement lenses??????
                          BMW Dealer, junkyard, E30, E34, E32 :)
                          Axel

Comment

PASKA!

i have hella H-4's (single light with high and low beam ala inner headlight delete). they are the the replacements for the sealed beam style. are they the same as the regular lenses
                            seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

OK so i just attempted this too. Baked all lenses as per Jordans instructions at 350F. The plastic adjusters melted, and fell on to the oven element making a terrible smell. I lost about half of them. Then I tried to pry off the lenses, and one shattered in to pieces. THe others will not come off, they are on there fucking tight as nails. I just don't get it, WTF am I doing wrong? I'm ready to just buy them pre-smoked.

Comment

ima try this fer'sher when i can..give u ups for sharing...

Comment

Working...
                                X