No announcement yet.

Replacing the E30 Heater Core and Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tell you those "SQUARE HEADS" have nothing better to do then to mess a perfectly good design up due to boredom; I have no idea what that metal plate serves and this is the first one I've seen or heard of in the 12 cars I have owned all being mostly late models. It seems this is a US problem because it Canada I haven't encountered this.
    sigpic

Comment

I guess i'll just go for it then... i'll alert the board if my car falls apart

Comment

Originally posted by T La View Post
        I guess i'll just go for it then... i'll alert the board if my car falls apart
        =

Originally posted by Dozyproductions
        You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by CreamE30 View Post
          OK R3v, here's what I'm up against. Not sure if this was just a self explanatory thing, but I have an extra obstacle in my way:

The hell is this thing? It looks like there are three bolts holding it in, two along the transmission tunnel, and one under the steering wheel trim pieces:

Can I take this out? Or will it end up being the backbone of my E30 and everything will fall off my car?
          Originally posted by e30shmobberr View Post
          wtf?? never seen that before
          Originally posted by ///digitalme View Post
          i saw this at the yard...on 2 cars...they were on late model cars...and for this reason i couldnt get a heater core! but the ones i saw at the yard were welded...atleast yours are held by bolts...
          Originally posted by T La View Post
          any word on removing that strange metal piece? I have the same problem....
          Originally posted by Ceeker View Post
          I tell you those "SQUARE HEADS" have nothing better to do then to mess a perfectly good design up due to boredom; I have no idea what that metal plate serves and this is the first one I've seen or heard of in the 12 cars I have owned all being mostly late models. It seems this is a US problem because it Canada I haven't encountered this.
          That's the support for the knee bolster in air bag cars. There should be 3 bolts that hold it into the shift tunnel. They are not welded in (it might have been really dirty and seemed that way). Once you unbolt them, it's easy to move out of the way. I have two air bag cars that I've done this for, it looks scarier than it is..

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
            =

lol'd

Comment

^ exactly, just unbolt it to get it out of the way.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I bought the 325 with a bypassed heater core, I got around to taking it out today, and it looked like only the o-rings had been leaking before, so I went out and bought new o-rings, put it all back together and its leaking from both corners of the heater core, AND from the heater valve? Has anyone ever had a heater valve leak before? Also does anyone have a diagram of which way the hoses in the engine bay are routed? Im pretty sure I have them routed right, but I just wanna be sure!
                1998 Mustang-Endless project
                1990 325i Sedan-Needs paint
                1991 318is-New project

Comment

My heater valve started leaking last year, replaced it now the heater core is leaking. YAY!
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Wow, there is a lot of people having problems with their heater cores and valves!
                    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
                      Wow, there is a lot of people having problems with their heater cores and valves!
                      Its pretty amazing that these parts last this long. My stuff is original and older than half the people on this forum!
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by dillsnick View Post
                        That's the support for the knee bolster in air bag cars. There should be 3 bolts that hold it into the shift tunnel. They are not welded in (it might have been really dirty and seemed that way). Once you unbolt them, it's easy to move out of the way. I have two air bag cars that I've done this for, it looks scarier than it is..
                        AH! the mystery is solved...lol very good.. good to know..
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, I also have a bad heater core, planning on changing the valve as well while im down there. Anyone know where to get the best deal on core and valve, pelican parts will be running me well over $300 for the pair, any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by nuk78 View Post
                            Hey guys, I also have a bad heater core, planning on changing the valve as well while im down there. Anyone know where to get the best deal on core and valve, pelican parts will be running me well over $300 for the pair, any advice would be helpful, thanks!
                            I'm sure you can find a good used core and heater valve on here for a fraction of the cost. Post on the wanted list.
                            sigpic

Comment

are there negitive effects of bypassing the core temporarily?

Comment

Originally posted by mo diesil View Post
                                are there negitive effects of bypassing the core temporarily?
                                Aside from freezing your arse off? Nah. :) Mine's been bypassed since April (but I haven't driven it any distance since October).

Originally posted by Ceeker View Post
                                I'm sure you can find a good used core and heater valve on here for a fraction of the cost. Post on the wanted list.
                                The one for the '91 318is is about $150 at RMEuropean.com. I bought a used heater core from someone on this forum, but the dipshit just threw it into a box — loose — and it got beat to hell in the mail, and now leaks, too (I had it tested at a local radiator shop).

Comment

Working...
                                X