Plastic Bumper Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic Bumper Conversion

Hello r3v community! I’m fairly new to the E30 scene. I picked up an 88’ 325i convertible this summer and it’s been consuming my money ever since! My most recent purchase was a set of late model plastic bumpers. I wanted to give a brief explanation and walkthrough of how I installed the rear end. I also wanted to ask the community a few questions about the installation for those who have experienced issues. Last weekend I picked up a set of plastic bumpers off of an 89’ 325i. Front bumper, Front valance and Rear bumper for a whopping $150. Non of the trim came with it but I can’t complain. I proceeded to take the US metal bumpers off of my car. The front was very easy and self explanatory however, the rear took a bit longer than I had expected it to After removing the countless 10/8mm nuts and screws to get the trim off of the vehicle I was ready to get the plastic bumper fitted on I figured it wouldn’t be 100% plug and play so I managed to hold the bumper up with jack stands allowing me to ‘mark the position of the two bumper sliders After doing so I was able to remove the bumper and mark where I had to drill holes I used two rubber washers and two metal washers on the lower bolt to sit between the slider and the body of the car. I did this so the slider would be parallel with the car. I hoped this would leave no gap between the bumper and the body line but was mistaken It doesn’t look terrible in the photo but it is not as high as I would like it to be. I also noticed the two ends of the bumper don’t line up perfectly with the fender arch. I slightly skimmed the inward curve of the bumper This is the result I got. When looking at it from above. It looks pretty bad but I plan on doing something about it. I’d like to see if anyone could provide further advice. I don’t want to cut the bumper down to fit but I will if it’s my only option Is there anything I can do about the gap between the bumper and the body? Could the addition of spacers between the bumper shocks and the body of the car aid in the wheel arch fitment or make it worse? Any other advice is always welcome! Thanks!
    Last edited by MarioAndretti78; 11-03-2020, 08:55 AM.
Working...
X