Megasquirt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megasquirt help

I need help with my M42 turbo project. I'm wondering who may be able to help me with Megasquirt. I'm not sure my system is working with the COP I'm running. Any thoughts?

You'll need more detail than that homie... got a stim?

Comment

You're running COP?

I didn't notice that. Double and triple check your wiring.

Comment

did you look into the coil drivers? you said you had bumped up the dwell a lot to get it to run (which sounds like your running plugs that are too hot or with too large of a gap). that leads me to believe one or more of your coil drivers are burned up.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Simplest things first. do a spark test to verify you are getting or not getting spark to every cylinder. If not, you can track your wiring down to the driver or wire where it broke. If all get spark, then youre timing settings are probably off, your spark plugs are dead/misgapped or something along those lines.

if you get NO spark to any cyilnder, check your trigger settings and verify you soldered right.

Comment

he said he bought the kit from a shop and had it running well on a dyno, but it died later. it's also a 3.57 board so not a lot of soldering to go wrong. coil drivers are the first thing I'd look at given what he's told me so far.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nando, I told him to re-gap his plugs and I'm pretty sure he did. He told me he's running one step colder as well. So, I'd say coil drivers.

Comment

What coil drivers? They don't just die. unless his wiring is setup to power them when the car is off. But then, killing a coil is possible too.

Can you get a datalog? I wonder if you are getting resets. Try the same plugs as on the dyno but I'm willing to bet its a driver or a coil.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                  What coil drivers? They don't just die. unless his wiring is setup to power them when the car is off. But then, killing a coil is possible too.

Can you get a datalog? I wonder if you are getting resets. Try the same plugs as on the dyno but I'm willing to bet its a driver or a coil.

yes they do, if they are VB921s you can kill them quite easily.

he said he had been running .030 gap which is too much
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I told him .025 because thats what I ran.

Comment

I've never seen a VB291 die unless it was powered when it wasn't supposed to be. I do swear by BIP373s tho.

Comment

all you have to do is run too much dwell through them, which he had to do in order to overcome the gap being too large. then he said it died and wouldn't run after he had it dyno tuned, now it's running the stock computer.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yea but why would he change that? I would assume the shop would be smart enough to know the dwell settings he needs. Altho... assumptions bite you in the ass.

Comment

he changed it because he was probably getting spark blowout from the .030 gap.

never assume anything :p
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. Todd at Dynotech built my MS. I e-mailed Chris the map I ran on the dyno and maybe he can see something that is not right. We did have to raise the dwell to get rid of a miss and it did seem high at like 7. No map I have seen was even close to that. Plugs are NGK 2288 gap is at 25 now. I took a pic of the drivers for Todd because he thought they may have burnt, but he said they look ok. I'm running coil on plug. What wiring do I need to check? They are the same wires that came off the stock harness, no cutting at all. My tuner thinks maybe the ms is having a problem firing them. the car won't idle at all on ms now, runs ok on the stock ecu and afm, just rich because of the 30lb injectors. If someone has a known good map, I would love to try it and work from there. Sounds like Chris knows his shit when it comes to ms.

Comment

Working...
                              X