Help tune Kamotors turbo E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help tune Kamotors turbo E30

Well, the WAR chip seems to be giving me lots of trouble. I thought with the 5 speed, tuning would be simpler because it wouldn't downshift on me but I'm still having issues. I hope Brody can offer some help.

My cruising AFR is fine at light load I'm between 14.7 and 16.1 constantly jumping back and forth.

at higher load like going up the highway I'm at a consistent 13.5 AFR.Which to me is also ok.

WOT in first gear at 4.5krpms I shoot down to 9.8 AFR and the car bogs.

My logic behind the first gear bog with the WAR chip; that other users also have, is because boost hits later in first gear but the ECU still sends in fuel for air that is not there.

If I tune this away with less fuel than I am LEAN in every other WOT pull in other gears.

in second my AFR is around 11.8 and third around 12.4-12.8. At 11.8 it pulls strong and hard.

I've taken away LOTS of fuel from the base map and really cant take away anymore because then I'm lean in other gears.

I have not touched my ignition maps simply because I don't know how to do it effectively. SO I'm here for help.

BELOW is the MILLER FUEL BASE MAP. With this the car is almost un drivable my cruising AFR is in the 9's and I can hardly go WOT.

Below is MY fuel map which works good for everything but first gear and occasionally it will load up on fuel during spirited driving and want to stall out unless I blip the throttle coming to a stop. I have raised my idle to around 950rpm once warm but it doesn't seem to help the problem.

and below is my untouched ignition map(same as Miller ignition map). Somehow the RPM got cut off but its the same rpm range as the fuel map if i'm not mistaken.

Any input is appreciated. I'm at 9.5psi

7speedshop.com

Cant you just put in more or less fuel where you need it?

Comment

yes but I need less fuel for first gear and the same amount for second gear so I'm kind of lost on what to do,maybe I could tune the ignition map to help I'm not sure.

7speedshop.com

Comment

your first mistake was using the WAR chip instead of MegaSquirt! Only kidding. Why don't you take it to a professional who can tune cars for a living?
        -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
          your first mistake was using the WAR chip instead of MegaSquirt! Only kidding. Why don't you take it to a professional who can tune cars for a living?
          because I live in reno and professionals don't exist. I would need to make a trip to california to find a decent tuner, also I really want to figure it out myself, 90% of WAR users I have talked to have this issue; even the ones that went to a "professional"

7speedshop.com

Comment

What you need is a way to change tunes depending on which gear you re in. I think the hard part would be working out where to fit a switch so that it is only activated when you are in first.

Comment

dont think thats possible with WAR. put another 30 miles on it today in first it simply floods the car:(

for example you are in first gear,you floor it around a corner in first and then quickly need to stop, the car will stall out almost every time.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                dont think thats possible with WAR. put another 30 miles on it today in first it simply floods the car:(

for example you are in first gear,you floor it around a corner in first and then quickly need to stop, the car will stall out almost every time.
                The car is stalling because you are venting to atmosphere with your BOV. The engine loads, up, meters the air then you let off, PSSSHHHH out goes the air, but the ECU doesn't know that and keeps the needed fuel it expects to be used going to the injectors for a second.

I will have Dan take a look at this thread as he will be able to give better insight into what needs to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post

Also, you COULD do gear based tunes but it is probably a lot more work than you are willing to do. You could have the gear selector trigger switches that change the tune on the war CHIP accordingly, but again, I think its more work than most people want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by brody View Post
                    The car is stalling because you are venting to atmosphere with your BOV. The engine loads, up, meters the air then you let off, PSSSHHHH out goes the air, but the ECU doesn't know that and keeps the needed fuel it expects to be used going to the injectors for a second.

I will have Dan take a look at this thread as he will be able to give better insight into what needs to be done.
                    well it did that without a BOV also....also my BOV is set to only blow off above 6 psi which I don't make in first gear. IF I rev the engine too quickly in neutral it will also almost stall out but usually it catches. I can't build boost in nuetral but still have the issue.

is it safe to switch tunes while driving? I thought maybe that you had to turn off the car then switch the dial.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I've changed tunes while driving lots of times without any problems. I remember seeing something on the Miller web site about changing tunes based on boost pressure, I also remember someone else on another thread and Brody said it was Ok.
                      I think this is very under rated feature of the WAR chip.

Comment

No it's not bad tO switch on the fly. Dan will be back down in LA soon and something could be arranged to get your tune sorted. I know the cars we have tuned don't have the stalling issues and if there are underlying hardware problems we can point them out and or fix them for you.

Comment

made a smooth version of my current tune, hopefully the smoother map will result in smoother driving.

7speedshop.com

Comment

You're running the MAF before the turbo and venting to atmosphere?
                            That's a problem if so. Needs recirc.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                              You're running the MAF before the turbo and venting to atmosphere?
                              That's a problem if so. Needs recirc.

Its a problem, but not a big enough one to cause drivability issues. It honestly drives just fine for cruising around and doesnt buck or stall between shifts at WOT. My BOV has nothing to do with my first gear rich issue.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                              X