Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets toy around with megasquirt- N/A M50NV

Hey guys

I've been trying to sell this Megasquirt PnP built by Dederic Motorsports for my friend's M50NV Turbo setup. Unfortunately the project never took off the ground and I've been heavily eyeballing the idea of running it N/A on my motor now, getting used to MS and Tunerstudio, and eventually down the road go turbo, where I'll be already familiar with standalone and comfortable with having it on my daily driver
    The problem with using this MS on my friend's turbo build was that it constantly kept flooding the engine so hopefully this won't happen to me.

Couple of simple questions:
    The MS has a base tune for the turbo setup my friend was planning on running. Of course I'm going to need a tune for my all stock N/A M50. I'd imagine I can pull up the timing maps of a stock M50NV DME and run the car exactly with those values?
    The MAP Sensor, where is an appropriate place to plug this line into in the intake side of the motor? I'd imagine anywhere with a vacuum?
    I can still use my ICV correct?
    The VSS signal, is it deleted automatically with MS1?

Again I would just be trying to get used to megasquirt so I'm completely comfortable, buy it off my friend, hopefully drive a couple of thousand miles on it and deem it reliable and use it on a turbo build!
    Last edited by lolcantturn; 04-05-2012, 12:02 AM.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

MS1 :(

-yes, you can copy stock ignition maps 1:1 as long as there's no offset built into them.
    -anywhere on the intake manifold is fine for vac.
    -you can "use" your ICV with MS1, but the idle control is really crude. MS2/MS3 would be much better.
    -correct, MS1 does not use the VSS.

for the $90 cost difference I don't know why you'd even build an MS1 these days. but, it can work fine. good luck. :)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      MS1 :(

-yes, you can copy stock ignition maps 1:1 as long as there's no offset built into them.
      -anywhere on the intake manifold is fine for vac.
      -you can "use" your ICV with MS1, but the idle control is really crude. MS2/MS3 would be much better.
      -correct, MS1 does not use the VSS.

for the $90 cost difference I don't know why you'd even build an MS1 these days. but, it can work fine. good luck. :)
      Great info.
      -As far as a N/A Tune, I guess any tunes online for an N/A M50 are few and far inbetween? I'm running a TRM chip on my ECU right now so going to a stock ignition map will be a decrease in performance. Tuning will be a trial and error on my part then with a wideband? I read that you started out with a turbo tune and gradually adjusted it to meet your driving style?
      -What is the "proper" way to have a perfect idle with the MS1?
      Originally posted by TSI
      ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
      OEM+

Comment

Working...
      X