No announcement yet.

mspnp + maf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not talking in terms of your car will become undrivable. Just in general terms. As in the tune starts at 100%, then will fluctuate from there. Like at sea level your at 100% correct, then at altitude the tune is now at 90% correct. Still drivable, but ideally could use a couple tweaks. I'm not against SD at all, used it, will continue to use it. But just because maf is a little harder doesn't make it pointless. Everyone can take the easy route, but what will you gain by doing the same as every body else. I like the idea of the challenge and doing something others don't. Imagine if the same amount of energy and development was put into aftermarket maf setups as there has been for SD. This wouldn't even be a discussion as maf would be the norm.

Comment

yeah, except no tune is ever going to be 100% all the time, no matter how you measure load. EVERY engine management system out there will have adjustments and compensations, even ones that use MAFs. That's what trim values are for.

90% correct is an exaggeration. maybe it would be 5% off, which is easily compensated for by the O2 sensor. And yeah, I've driven from sea level to mountain elevations on the same day, same tune, without restarting every 1000ft. It's a pretty poor argument and you've got nothing more than conjecture to prove it.

also, maybe you don't realize, but cars have an IAT for a reason. the weather does not change the tune, unless your tune really sucks.

Nobody puts the effort into MAF because the sensors cost more, they fail, they're susceptible to vaccum leaks, turbulence, dirt, and you have to upgrade them every time you pass their designed flow threshold. They are for emissions. that is why every modern car uses them.

When BMW made the E46 M3 CSL.. guess what they did? threw the stupid MAF in the trash bin and ran an Alpha-N/Speed Density blend. It was never to be sold in the USA, so the emissions weren't an issue.

I suggest doing more actual tuning, rather than just reading about it. Again, if you want to use MAF that's cool, I sometimes like to do something "just because" too. but your argument about SD is baseless.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
      X