Help build my fuel management system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help build my fuel management system

if i bought this kit, what else would I need to make it work with my 89 e30 s52 with garrett gt3582r? Asking only electrical related questions. I know whats up with the piping, WG, BOV etc.

MS3X arrives equipped with features like sequential fuel & spark, 2 step, progressive nitrous, boost control, onboard traction control & much more! 

I'm familiar with the fundamental idea's behind megasquirt, I just haven't jumped fully into it yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

make life easy on yourself and build an adapter. use an OBD1 harness and gut an OBD1 DME. should be pretty straight forward.

You'll need 6 BIP373s to drive the coils as the spark outputs in the MS3x are logic level only. use the base of your gutted DME as a heatsink/mounting plate.

or, change from the stock coils to some logic-driven coils. But it won't look stock and will require some fab work.

You don't need any extra sensors, other than IAT. the GM IAT sensor works fine but you could use basically any OE BMW sensor if you can find the resistance/temp curve from Bosch. They publish most of them on their motorsports website. if you use an E30 CLT sensor you can use one of the curves that comes programmed in Tunerstudio. Otherwise all the sensors remain stock.

You do want a wideband, of course. People seem to either love or hate the LC-1 (I've never had a problem with any of mine). if you want to get really crazy, you can get an I/O Extender from www.jbperf.com and run the LC-1 wideband signal digitally straight to MS using the CAN bus (rather than going digital/analog/digital. okay, probably not neccesary but I like to geek out sometimes. :p

or there's any number of widebands available from AEM, etc. I like to use an old O2 sensor plug and wire it straight into the stock O2 sensor wiring. You get a dedicated relay for the controller (that used to power the heater) and good grounds from the factory. I usually connect the FP relay output to both the FP relay and O2 relay.

You also need a way to trigger the main relay. it's pretty simple, you just need a couple transistors, a diode, and resistors. details here.

there's a few different "adapter" charts you could use. Here's one I built for an OBD1 harness (it's actually running an M20, but no real difference there except I deleted VANOS, which you won't want to do)

I'd also suggest joining at www.msextra.com and reading everything you can, both in the manuals and the forums. This is also where you should go for technical support.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Wow, thank you for all the info. Definitely some stuff I need to look into. I'll check back if I have any questions. Thanks!
      1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

Comment

Working...
      X