Is ICV required MSPNP?
Collapse
X
-
Not that I have come across, it has two dedicated spark outputs and you use WLED and ALED for additional outputs -
ah, I didn't even think about microsquirt. so you can't modify it for extra channels? I guess not since the actual firmware is different.Leave a comment:
-
-
it's 1-5-3-6-2-4
if you're not doing sequential ignition there's no reason to use a cam sensorLeave a comment:
-
When I had MS2 I had an external board with the coil drivers and ICV drivers (glensgarage board), I didn't mount them on the main heatsink. You need two drivers for the 3 wire ICV anyway, I'm not sure there's room.
as far as sequential ignition - not really any point on MS2. There are benefits to sequential fuel, but diminishing returns going from wasted spark to sequential ignition. I can switch mine on the fly and you can't tell any difference at all. MS2 is more I/O limited than MS3, I'd want to save all the I/O I could for better purposes (boost control is one). Semi sequential fuel would be worth doing though, and you don't need a cam sensor either.Hi Guys, and thanks for the input, I'm really learning a lot :D
1. I bought the Cam sensor to enable me to delete the distributor. My current understanding is that I set the cam pickup at ~20deg before TBC and tell MS that is #1 cylinder (?)
2. I have also bought the MS Quadspark driver, so no need to get inside MS, just connect the wires (?)
3. Do I then setup MS to do 1-5-3-6-4-2 for Ignition sequence? Sorry if the order is wrong, off the top of my head.
4. The ICV poses a bit of a dilema as I no longer really have any place to put it without going back to a small throttle body.
Thanks in advance for your further input.Leave a comment:
-
I dont run an ICV I have the WAR chip though. But it idles like ship when cold and will die at first. But when warm a rock steady 900rpm.Leave a comment:
-
exactly.
As the engine warmed up, or heat soaked, the idle changed, and if I didn't have a laptop I had no means to change it. It didn't oscillate, it was just different everytime I drove the car. sometimes it would be 800rpm, sometimes it would be 1200rpm.
If you drive your car 5 days a week that will drive you insane. it might be a perfect 900rpm on your way to work and then a shitty 500rpm at lunchtime.
older cars usually had a choke, either manual or electric (mopars had a thermal choke that worked OK). actually, I didn't mind manual chokes. once you got used to it you could get cold idles down pat. But, that's like 1950s bullshit right there. electronic idle control is like 1985 technology, it's really a no brainer IMO. :)Leave a comment:
-
Turbo m20, No icv and besides having to wait for warmup (which you should do regardless) she's pretty solid once warm. Had to bump the idle up to 900 or so but not an issue freezing winter or hot summer days.
Yes cold winter days it tends to idle more at 1k but took temps to get below freezing before that happened. Normally just sits happily at 900
Driven in summer and winter and have never touched he idle screw after It was set.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2Leave a comment:
-
And what did being stuck in a backup do? I worked in DC... unless something is wrong with your setup, it should be fine. Remember that's how all older vehicles are.
the rpm the engine idles at will change, but it shouldn't hunt for idle. The hunting is a result of timing or fuel mixture changes. So yes, if you have a problem with the engine not sitting at a specific RPM, then you will have issues. If all you care about is the engine idling around a given speed, then no ICV is needed.it hunts because air density is variable and there's no way to compensate because the TB is stuck in one place. I could set it for a perfect idle one day and it would change 100rpm the next day.Leave a comment:
-
Yes, actually, and it was during the summer. It sucked.Did you ever try DDing the car without an ICV? I drove mine during the summer (put 3k miles on it in a month) and it's not a problem as long as the weather is reasonably warm. Yes, the rpm will drift depending on the temperature but it's more consistent than you would think. With the gslender firmware, it's actually possible to use the timing & fuel mixture to adjust the idle speed by minor amounts. A fast idle valve would certainly be nice for the winter.
So yes, for a DD, an ICV is nice. For a fair weather car I'd consider it optional. Just my two cents.
i spent 4 hours or something in a border lineup on a hot day with no ICV. It was awful.
it's like, you can do without one of your thumbs.. but life is a lot nicer when you have both. :)
it hunts because air density is variable and there's no way to compensate because the TB is stuck in one place. I could set it for a perfect idle one day and it would change 100rpm the next day.The idle shouldn't hunt. That's a result of tuning and an ICV shouldn't be utilized to correct it.Leave a comment:
-
Did you ever try DDing the car without an ICV? I drove mine during the summer (put 3k miles on it in a month) and it's not a problem as long as the weather is reasonably warm. Yes, the rpm will drift depending on the temperature but it's more consistent than you would think. With the gslender firmware, it's actually possible to use the timing & fuel mixture to adjust the idle speed by minor amounts. A fast idle valve would certainly be nice for the winter.LIke I said.. you don't need it, but you want it. ;)
if you don't daily drive the car, you can probably do without. But if you DO dd the car, then it's going to be a gigantic pain in the ass every morning on your way to work. Also, your idle will change with the weather, you can fiddle with the throttle stop all you like but it will never settle at one RPM.
it's not that hard to tune, either. The latest idle codes are pretty well sorted out, it doesn't take more than a few cold starts and maybe 15 minutes to get them dialed in to 95% these days. Not tuning isn't really a reason to not use one. You could just use warmup mode if you don't want to spend time on it right away, or set it to a fixed DC.
So yes, for a DD, an ICV is nice. For a fair weather car I'd consider it optional. Just my two cents.
agreed.When I had MS2 I had an external board with the coil drivers and ICV drivers (glensgarage board), I didn't mount them on the main heatsink. You need two drivers for the 3 wire ICV anyway, I'm not sure there's room.
One more reason to use MS3 - no extra mods, it's all built in. :p
as far as sequential ignition - not really any point on MS2. There are benefits to sequential fuel, but diminishing returns going from wasted spark to sequential ignition. I can switch mine on the fly and you can't tell any difference at all. MS2 is more I/O limited than MS3, I'd want to save all the I/O I could for better purposes (boost control is one). Semi sequential fuel would be worth doing though, and you don't need a cam sensor either.
The idle shouldn't hunt. That's a result of tuning and an ICV shouldn't be utilized to correct it.Leave a comment:
-
-
you can do sequential spark, I think up to 8 channels but only semi-sequential injection above a 4 cyl.Leave a comment:
-
Not thinking >4 cyl sequential fuel or spark is an option on any of the MSPNP units??Leave a comment:
-
LIke I said.. you don't need it, but you want it. ;)why? I don't run one in my '85. It's useful for two things - cold starts and load compensation for a/c. I don't run A/C and unless it's freezing cold outside, the car will idle almost immediately after starting. When it's cold, I have to give it a little gas until it warms up. I left it out of this build for several reasons. 1) I didn't want to deal with the gooseneck on my m50 under boost 2) I run three coil drivers for wasted spark and without the ICV transistor, all the coil drivers mount to the internal MS heatsink 3) it's one less thing wire and tune. I'll be adding it back in on my new build since the objective is to move towards a factory-like DD.
if you don't daily drive the car, you can probably do without. But if you DO dd the car, then it's going to be a gigantic pain in the ass every morning on your way to work. Also, your idle will change with the weather, you can fiddle with the throttle stop all you like but it will never settle at one RPM.
it's not that hard to tune, either. The latest idle codes are pretty well sorted out, it doesn't take more than a few cold starts and maybe 15 minutes to get them dialed in to 95% these days. Not tuning isn't really a reason to not use one. You could just use warmup mode if you don't want to spend time on it right away, or set it to a fixed DC.
When I had MS2 I had an external board with the coil drivers and ICV drivers (glensgarage board), I didn't mount them on the main heatsink. You need two drivers for the 3 wire ICV anyway, I'm not sure there's room.
One more reason to use MS3 - no extra mods, it's all built in. :p
as far as sequential ignition - not really any point on MS2. There are benefits to sequential fuel, but diminishing returns going from wasted spark to sequential ignition. I can switch mine on the fly and you can't tell any difference at all. MS2 is more I/O limited than MS3, I'd want to save all the I/O I could for better purposes (boost control is one). Semi sequential fuel would be worth doing though, and you don't need a cam sensor either.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: