Understanding Megasquirt on an S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding Megasquirt on an S54

I am wanting to do a S54 swap with megasquirt but I do not know much about megasquirt. Can anyone give me some incite or direct me where to go to get info on this. Do i need to do my own programming dose it come with programming. Any help is welcomed.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Scroll, read what gets your attension.
    Read it again and understand at least most of it.
    And then read up on MS and S54.

As for your programming, yes, and no. You will need a basemap to get it started and those you will find online, after this you have some tuning to do..

Comment

Okay thank you with megasquirt im kinda blind idk what to do this will help me a lot thank you.

sigpic

Comment

Kvasi linked you to what you should read.

there is more information here: http://www.msextra.com/

Megasquirt is very powerful, but it takes some time to set it up correctly. If I had to guess... Expect to spend around 100-200 hours if building the harness from scratch, and anywhere from 20 to 50+ hours of tuning.
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
          Kvasi linked you to what you should read.

there is more information here: http://www.msextra.com/

Megasquirt is very powerful, but it takes some time to set it up correctly. If I had to guess... Expect to spend around 100-200 hours if building the harness from scratch, and anywhere from 20 to 50+ hours of tuning.
          I'm actually going to have a company build the harness for me so I just need to build the ms and add the program in and tune it. I've never delt with megasquirt so that's why I'm needing all the info I can get.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Titan_Omega View Post
            I'm actually going to have a company build the harness for me so I just need to build the ms and add the program in and tune it. I've never delt with megasquirt so that's why I'm needing all the info I can get.

sounds good. Read read read. Once you're bored of reading, watch a few megasquirt videos and read some more. It might seem overwhelming at first, but if you have read the manual a few times you will understand everything when you finally have a megasquirt board in your hands in hooked up. The plus side is that you will learn so much concerning engine management compared to your friends.
            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

So as far as hardware I'm thinking I'd need this

MS3Pro, the latest standalone engine management system from DIYAutoTune.com!

sigpic

Comment

IMO.. don't do it. get MSS54 flashed to run your motor. I've run MS on my car for the last 6 years and currently have MS3. I've built and tuned like a dozen MS kits, beta tested software, got new features and bug fixes added, etc. Now I'm neck deep in MSS54 code.

I've argued both sides of the coin, but the stock DME is going to be better in pretty much every way imagineable.

getting MSS54 flashed will be cheaper than building an MS3 kit, getting a wiring harness made, and having it dyno tuned, by far. and it will run better too. it will probably cost $3k all said and done for MS3 (the kit itself, wiring, and dyno tuning) vs maybe $1k for MSS54 (which includes a tune).
                Last edited by nando; 02-11-2013, 09:37 AM.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  IMO.. don't do it. get MSS54 flashed to run your motor. I've run MS on my car for the last 6 years and currently have MS3. I've built and tuned like a dozen MS kits, beta tested software, got new features and bug fixes added, etc. Now I'm neck deep in MSS54 code.

I've argued both sides of the coin, but the stock DME is going to be better in pretty much every way imagineable.

getting MSS54 flashed will be cheaper than building an MS3 kit, getting a wiring harness made, and having it dyno tuned, by far. and it will run better too. it will probably cost $3k all said and done for MS3 (the kit itself, wiring, and dyno tuning) vs maybe $1k for MSS54 (which includes a tune).
                  will you do a MSS54 flashed kit in the future?

Also is their a way to have different tunes like an aggresive race tune and a fuel effecient stock tune for street use like a standalone or do you need 2 dme's for that?

Comment

there is no reason to do "multiple tunes" on a DME unless you're limited by horsepower in race classes or something.

the "fuel efficient" vs "agressive race" tune is a fallacy created by tuners looking to make a buck by selling you a "feature" that nobody needs. The very nature of EFI is that it's operation is 3 dimensional - meaning, engine fueling and efficiency is determined by RPM, load and ambient conditions. You always get the best efficiency for the engine at any given load site because you can tune it for the exact conditions, and you don't need to sacrifice power because that's a different operating condition (nobody usually cares about fuel efficiency at full throttle). anyway, that's a bit of a rant that I don't want to get too far into.

however, if you really wanted to get crazy - yes, it's physically possible to have 1 DME with two tunes on it. it would require hardware modifications and a switch to change between EPROMs but it's possible. The only reason I could see maybe wanting to do this would be switching from a MAF tune to an alpha-N tune. and you couldn't do it on the fly - you'd have to shut the car off, switch it, and reboot it. I considered trying this on one of my DMEs but decided to add a socket instead.

Supposedly MSS54 copes with ambient conditions and Alpha-N extremely well but I haven't tried it yet. My end goal is to use the CSL software with a MAP sensor. This should be better than the standard MSS54 "alpha-N" tune which is really just a limp map (in case the MAF fails) and some error codes removed.

as far as offering MSS54 flashes - possibly this summer. There are others doing it now, but I have no idea how they've disabled EWS on their own (and they aren't telling, despite being "open source" when it benefits them). My guess is they stole it from another tuner, which I don't want to do. The rest is easy and I can already do it, but right now my head is swimming in assembly code and I've already got a headache. :p
                    Last edited by nando; 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

there is no reason to do "multiple tunes" on a DME unless you're limited by horsepower in race classes or something.

the "fuel efficient" vs "agressive race" tune is a fallacy created by tuners looking to make a buck by selling you a "feature" that nobody needs. The very nature of EFI is that it's operation is 3 dimensional - meaning, engine fueling and efficiency is determined by RPM, load and ambient conditions. You always get the best efficiency for the engine at any given load site because you can tune it for the exact conditions, and you don't need to sacrifice power because that's a different operating condition (nobody usually cares about fuel efficiency at full throttle). anyway, that's a bit of a rant that I don't want to get too far into.

however, if you really wanted to get crazy - yes, it's physically possible to have 1 DME with two tunes on it. it would require hardware modifications and a switch to change between EPROMs but it's possible. The only reason I could see maybe wanting to do this would be switching from a MAF tune to an alpha-N tune. and you couldn't do it on the fly - you'd have to shut the car off, switch it, and reboot it. I considered trying this on one of my DMEs but decided to add a socket instead.

Supposedly MSS54 copes with ambient conditions and Alpha-N extremely well but I haven't tried it yet. My end goal is to use the CSL software with a MAP sensor. This should be better than the standard MSS54 "alpha-N" tune which is really just a limp map (in case the MAF fails) and some error codes removed.

as far as offering MSS54 flashes - possibly this summer. There are others doing it now, but I have no idea how they've disabled EWS on their own (and they aren't telling, despite being "open source" when it benefits them). My guess is they stole it from another tuner, which I don't want to do. The rest is easy and I can already do it, but right now my head is swimming in assembly code and I've already got a headache. :p
                      I see what you mean. Sound like you know what you are doing, I'll be on the look out

Comment

ok when it comes to ECUs im a bit of a noob what is a MSS54 im assuming a already build Megasquirt system designed for the S54 am i correct in assuming so?

sigpic

Comment

MSS54 is the stock computer for the S54, it's not a Megasquirt unit.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

MSS54 is the stock computer for the S54, it's not a Megasquirt unit.
                            oh okay well if i am to go that rout i hear a lot of good things about MarkD but idk where to go with the ECU to get it flashed.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X