M20 MS2 V3.0 board Stock coil blew up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 MS2 V3.0 board Stock coil blew up

First off I have Fuel, car cranks just has no spark. Car is turboed now has gt35 rep for now

Today I was at it trying to get the car to start cranking it and the coil was heating up. I just thought it was the sun beaming on it all morning, the hood was off all day, but I cranked the car over probably 3 times.
    While I have just the key set on ignition I hear a pop and I guess theres a little pressure release cap or something on the coil. That
    popped off and start pouring out the gel tar insides.

So I have a new one from a buddy and swapped it in and just left the key on and the coil starting getting hot.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
    My guess is some wiring issue, I checked the wires going to the connector to the MS and all is good. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I may have figured it out. I have some settings to change on MS.
    The problem is the coil is staying on constantly, so its being over charged.

Did some reading and it looks like I have to adjust my dwell settings for spark output.
    Well I'm giving it a shot today after work.

Any other ideas I should try?

Comment

Figured out the problem I just ran a new wire from the ecu to the coil for signal and car fired right up.

Comment

What do you have the spark output set for 'going high' or 'going low'?
        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
        4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
          What do you have the spark output set for 'going high' or 'going low'?
          I have it set to 'going high'.
          I read that the coil should not be grounded constantly. Only when it needs to be charged and mine was getting a constant ground so it just over heated

Comment

Correct, the coil is conducting and building energy in the magnetic field only when the ECU is grounding it. You ground it for the dwell time (usually < 5ms) and when you stop grounding it the stored energy is transferred to the secondary coil which fires the spark plug as the voltage spikes to 20kV or more.

What dwell time do you have set? In the end, you would ideally use an oscilloscope to watch the current through the coil and set the dwell based on that, but it is a pretty advanced thing to try to do. You might want to look into an off-the-shelf coil that has well known dwell settings (and there should be a number of them in the MS community) so you can be sure that you are getting the hottest spark and not overheating the coil.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
              Correct, the coil is conducting and building energy in the magnetic field only when the ECU is grounding it. You ground it for the dwell time (usually < 5ms) and when you stop grounding it the stored energy is transferred to the secondary coil which fires the spark plug as the voltage spikes to 20kV or more.

What dwell time do you have set? In the end, you would ideally use an oscilloscope to watch the current through the coil and set the dwell based on that, but it is a pretty advanced thing to try to do. You might want to look into an off-the-shelf coil that has well known dwell settings (and there should be a number of them in the MS community) so you can be sure that you are getting the hottest spark and not overheating the coil.

I figured out why the original wiring for the coil was getting constant ground. I had soldered
              The wire but some solder fused to the shield wire which i found out it's grounded.

I believe it's set to 2.5ms for dwell time. I'll look around see if I can get s better coil.

Now I'm having trouble with the engine only revving to 2600rpms.

Comment

Dwell time sounds fine. The revving problem sounds like VR issue.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
                Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

Originally posted by ZenitramNaes View Post
                  Dwell time sounds fine. The revving problem sounds like VR issue.

I fixed the revving problem and misfiring. I had a wire hooked up that I shouldnt have.
                  I changed the plugs they were fouled out. Car ran pretty smooth for about
                  15secs then ran super rich almost 8 AFR. I tried messing with the VE table,
                  but nothing changes. I must have an air leak somewhere, but wouldn't the
                  leak cause the AFR to change instantly once the engine is running or after
                  20 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                  X