Megasquirt!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, start from scratch.

I suggest that for the same reason that I suggest not buying a pre-built megasquirt. If anything ever goes wrong with the tune, you should know how to build a new one.

Comment

its a better idea to find a like setup, get their base, bump the fuel up a bit across the board (easy to do) and run megalog immediately with the use of a WBO2

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle View Post
        its a better idea to find a like setup, get their base, bump the fuel up a bit across the board (easy to do) and run megalog immediately with the use of a WBO2
        And how do you tune timing? (which is twice as important as fuel)

PS: See you in a couple weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
          Yes, start from scratch.

I suggest that for the same reason that I suggest not buying a pre-built megasquirt. If anything ever goes wrong with the tune, you should know how to build a new one.
          there are MANY other settings besides the VE and timing maps. those aren't going to suddenly go "wrong". they're either set correctly or not. you spend all your time tuning the VE map (and a small amount on the timing), not messing with the other settings.

so tell me, if you started from scratch, how do you set the timing?

you have to start from somewhere, and there are many excellent timing maps to use as a reference. the one I started with was really conservative - and it's not going to change all that much between motors of the same family (M20, M50, etc). I never once touched it until I had my VE map pretty close, I left most of the timing to the dyno.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Start at a conservative base number and advance it step by step until you don't make any additional torque. Obviously it needs to be backed off if it knocks, but usually the torque falls off first.

There is a really great book out there about tuning by Greg Banish. I highly recommend it.

Comment

well see you say that its not wise for ppl to run someone else map. i know plenty of ppl that use others maps and as long as you have a good wideband your pretty much all set. i took someone else map and fixed it to run on my car. on my first test drive i used common sense and did not go wot, i was dataloging all the way and seen i was too rich in some places on my power band. then afte about 30min of driving around town i went home and looked at my datalog and adjusted it to better suit my application. theres a guy on ms that set up his own car with some one elses map and then tuned it him self, and then went to dyno it and after they tuned it his tuning was off by only 3hps, thats damn good if you ask me.

Comment

I just megasquirted into my wife
                1989 US E30 Cammed S52
                Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

i havent payed my banquet fee yet... guess i wont be eating, but i plan to try and dip out of work early for this... my car wont be there but i plan to support the drinking cause......... maybe set another car on fire?

Comment

car-b-ques are always fun.

Stop by for a beer... We'll be the drunk ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X