Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*megasquirt* how do I update the firmware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*megasquirt* how do I update the firmware?

Guys i need a bit of help. I have a MSII v3. I was able to get everything wired up. THe LC1 works. I can see MS via the serial cable and can adjust the values using the stim. I tried to update the firmware but was having trouble. I started up the MT Configurator (mtCfg.exe). I opened the MegaTune2.25bxxx tree item,but couldnt find the megasquirt-II.ini.2.9 file that matches the version of embedded code I am running, other than one that was named something like megasquirt-II.extra.ini.2.9. I highlighted that .ini file version and clicked execute File -> Activate. Renaming it to be "megasquirt-II.ini" (deleting the existing megasquirt-II.ini file first). It will then be used by MegaTune when it starts up.

I had already re-named the original "Car1" folder to "oldcar1" in 'C:\Program files\MegaSquirt\'. Was i supposed to manually create a new folder named "car1"?

In any case i kept getting an error message when trying to update the firmware onto the processor using the stim and the jumper. What am i doing wong.

thanks for your help. I've been reading as much as I can, but i feel like i dont quite have the grasp of this yet.

there are forums dedicated to this topic - you probably won't find a lot of help on r3v for the most part. I'd suggest www.msextra.com/forums if you want help on stuff like this.

anyway - it depends on what firmware you are trying to upgrade to. If you're trying to upgrade to MS2 extra, you need to run copyini.bat first, then run the download-MS2-firmware.bat with your computer connected to MS (megatune closed!) and follow the instructions (they're pretty simple). You don't do anything in the configurator until after you've flashed the code.

once you have it flashed, you need to go into the configurator. The configurator is just used to setup megatune, because megatune is a generalized tuning application (it's not specific to Megasquirt). In the configurator you will need select the ini you want to run (MS2/extra in this case). Then go to the file menu and activate it. then you can go into your project and select the firmware for your MS - MS2/extra will still read as MSII B&G (at least it did pre-2.0.1), but if you look in the panel on the right you can verify that you've selected the extra firmware by looking in the header of the ini file. Set all your sensors etc. and make sure you go to the file menu and save changes before you close the configurator. that's pretty much it..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thaks nando,
      I was lucky enought to get a decently tuned file from a board member. I am gong to use it to start the car. I was told that the it was:
      (running on 029v MSnS-extra firmware)

So i am trying to upload that version firmware to get this thing started and running.

I am under the impression that if i update to the latest firmware, I cannot use this file. is that correct?

Comment

Working...
      X