Exhaust manifold nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust manifold nuts

I've gotta pull down the exhaust tomorrow and as far as I can tell it's never been off of the vehicle since it was built. I tried to think ahead and got all the gaskets and hangers to replace while I was there but didn't think about the nuts being so old and crusty. Is there a local source, like lowes or something of that nature I can get bolts that will stand up to the heat and not rust out and be a PITA next time I may need to take them off? Or a high temp anti-seize I can use? Trying to get them tonight so I don't have to drive the car tomorrow and wait for it to cool back down.

BTW, these are the downtube nuts for the triangle flange, not for the manifold to head.

You might check with an automotive parts house for the copper plated nuts you need. There's no problem in finding plain steel metric nuts at Lowes HD, or an auto parts house, but they will rust very quickly.

Worst case, order the copper plated nuts and use plain nuts and anti-seize while you wait for the right parts to come in. Then replace the plain nuts.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

A good hardware or auto parts store should have a selection of stainless metric hardware, I suppose that would be next best thing to the copper plated.

Comment

I'll check out Lowes on the way home. All 6 nuts came off with my air gun at work in good shape. I wanted to loosen em up before I got home since thy won't let me bring the welder to work. I am surprised after 22 years they came off so smooth and without damage. I'll try and pick up some stainless on the way home and get the coppers ordered next week. Thanks guys.

Comment

Bump. So is it ok to use stainless studs?

Comment

I've worked with a lot of SS in marine settings where obviously anti corrosive qualities are critical and the problem is that SS doesn't "bite" so tends to loosen up on its own. Where heat cycling or vibration was a factor (such as in an exhaust manifold) we would double nut it.

I'd encourage you to follow jlevie's guidance and stick with plain steel studs (coated is preferred) and copper flange nuts. I got mine from the dealer for not very much and used copper never seize. Stays tight and comes off when its time.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Oreilly's has the copper ones you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X