Stock i exhaust on s50 swapped e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock i exhaust on s50 swapped e30

Hey new to r3v, but not e30s. I have 89is DD. I finished the s50 swap a few months ago. Runs great, right now it has a longtube header, 3" exhaust, high flow cat, and a flowmaster 40. It sounds demonic, problem is its a dd. I drive this f##ker to work, its killing my ears, my gf don't wana ride in it, and I've been pulled over a few times for it. My question is has anyone ran a factory exhaust on a s50/m50 swap? If so what if any modifications did you do to it.
    sigpic

Put a Borla Turbo after the cat. If you need more noise reduction, look at getting a Stainlessworks chambered muffler.

(Note: I have not yet tested the Stainlessworks muffler - I'm going by design only. The borla in the center makes a verified huge difference.)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

flowmasters are naturally pretty loud

seconded on the borla after the cat. it's the muffling, not the pipe size.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Im running factory M20 "i" exhaust with my M50 and OBD2 manifolds. It's obviously extremely livable, you can still hear the car and there's a nice little burble on upshifts if you roll off the throttle smoothly. Still sounds great IMO, you just have to roll the windows down if you really want to enjoy it.

I haven't dynoed so I can't tell you if it's a restriction for sure--I'd guess on an M50 it's ok as it's pretty close to an M20 power-wise, but it would probably choke up an S50 a bit. Since you've already got an exhaust made, I would experiment with different mufflers like already suggested before doing anything drastic.

Comment

What diameter is stock 325i exhaust?
          Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

I think its like 2" maybe 2.25" jus by looking at it, I still have it, and its in surprisingly good shape, all I would have to do is modify it to fit the header. Idk I was thinking about a borla tho, even for track days, or other fun... the flowmaster makes the car sound a little ricey.
            Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
            What diameter is stock 325i exhaust?
            sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna run an ebay stainless catback with custom pipes up to stock m52 headers keeping the flange so i can easily take it apart. Still dual pipe should be fine and look good. On my old m50 swap that thing was way too loud. Everyone thought I was trying to race.
              My Multi car part out. Need a part? Pm me...
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=193051

Need 24v swap parts? How about a LSD? Plastic Bumpers? Or anything else click here...
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215044

Have you done business with me? If so leave me feedback here...
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=188307

Comment

Working...
              X