Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "have you tried these (different) headers?" thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave them a long look too. The only way to know if they're any good for certain is to buy and install them. But, I do have a few thoughts. First, the extra long flange likely has a greater tendency not to be flat than a standard 3-primary flange. It may also make them harder to install since you're installing the complete header at one time? Just a guess. But either way, I don't see any outstanding benefits of the long flange at first glance.

Also, whereas the ones I purchased above are a direct copy of the BavAuto units, these CX Racing headers seem to be their own design from scratch and they don't seem to be "long tubes" in the genuine sense; they're shorter primaries it seems to my eye.
    '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Let me know if those headers work out for you, im definitely interested in buying a set.

Comment

I'm looking at the exact set as well, about to pull the trigger. UPDATE PLEASE!!
        (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
        1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

Just installed them this weekend in my garage, I will update in detail as soon as I have the time.

In the meantime, I would absolutely recommend them over the OBX headers I had before and I say go ahead to anybody who wants to buy them as long as you're willing to do a little tweaking and you're not expecting perfection in regards to fitment.
          '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

This paired up with thier SuperSprint style muffler would be a nice setup. ;-)
            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Very nice, can't wait to see the video.
              Ping me for photo sessions: ISOlution|Photography

Comment

Links to OBX ones purchased?

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                  Links to OBX ones purchased?
                  OBX sells them on ebay and they only have one type, you can search for them there.

Comment

Subscribed...also interested to see how these work out for you. I will be building a lightweight custom single exhaust for my autocross car & want long-tube headers for the power band...just can't bring myself to spend $700-1000 for Bav Auto/Stahl models

Do you know how much these weigh?
                    Mark Scroggs

1985 528e 5-spd Cosmosblau
                    1988 325i/a 4D Bronzitbeige
                    2013 Ford Focus ST SCCA GS #49
                    2013 VW Tiguan SE 4-Motion

Past
                    1989 325i 2D Zinnoberrot
                    1991 318i 4D Alpinweiss
                    1987 325is Alpinweiss
                    1986 325es Zinnoberrot
                    1989 325is Diamantschwarz

Drag racing is for fast cars....
                    Autocrossing is for fast drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by race2win View Post
                      Subscribed...also interested to see how these work out for you. I will be building a lightweight custom single exhaust for my autocross car & want long-tube headers for the power band...just can't bring myself to spend $700-1000 for Bav Auto/Stahl models

Do you know how much these weigh?
                      Cool, glad to help, I've been following your auto-x thread closely. Only had the E30 to 3 auto-xs since I bought it and then rebuilt the drivetrain last summer, but I've done a few years on and off with 16v VWs.

Anyway, I'm sorry to say I don't know what they weigh, but they are pretty light... lighter than the OBX or IE short tubes I had before. The guys selling them on ebay were pretty helpful with measurements, I'm sure they'd check the weight for you.

Comment

any pics of them installed? how much "tweaking" was necesarry, notice any gains by the butt dyno?
                        (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
                        1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

ill guess ill repeat myself, do these headers have a bung that is accessible to the stock 02 sensor and its wiring?
                          --Will

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
                            ill guess ill repeat myself, do these headers have a bung that is accessible to the stock 02 sensor and its wiring?
                            Sorry, missed that the first time. Answer is no bung at all.

Comment

i am very interested in if these are good or not as well!!

98 540 MSport
                              89 325 ix

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnabar325is View Post
                                Sorry, missed that the first time. Answer is no bung at all.
                                so what the deal here?
                                im guessing you are running an 02 sensor...helicoil?

Comment

Working...
                                X