Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

318is m42 exhaust question. (need guidence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is m42 exhaust question. (need guidence)

So right now my car has a crappy muffler with a rust hole in it, that's hanging real low and looks like shit. Also the small resonator after the cat has a huge hole in it and is loud as shit, like no exhaust is even making it to the muffler.

So it is safe (or a good idea) to just cut of that little resonator out of there (#13) and just throw a flex pipe on there to bridge the gap? What are the pros and cons of doing this?

And could you guys recommend a good muffler to put on that isn't too loud but still sounds good?

Any input would be appreciated :)
    Originally posted by Sagaris
    He wasn't around because he spent 7 years in jail for assault. There was a group of guys doing a 24v swap on someones car and one of the neighbor kids came over and starting too many questions. Tempers flared, sawzalls did work, and he cut the kids leg off. The victim later joined this forum under the name "5toes".

My exhaust consists of stock tubing, a high flow cat, no resonator and a Dynamax turbo muffler. Plenty quiet for everyday driving but still has a decent tone.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

I would just take out the resonator and get a new magnaflow or dynomax muffler. I run stock tubing, an aftermarket resonator, no cat, and a small magnaflow muffler. Pretty loud, but it is by far the best sound I've heard out of an m42.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

just go straight pipe...

:P
        1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
        1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
        1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
        guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
        Originally posted by ak-
        Must of slid into Rob

Comment

Would you guys rather keep the resonator? I heard if you remove it the sound is going to be really sharp and raspy. I like a nice deep grumble, that's not loud, whats the best exhaust for that? :D
          He wasn't around because he spent 7 years in jail for assault. There was a group of guys doing a 24v swap on someones car and one of the neighbor kids came over and starting too many questions. Tempers flared, sawzalls did work, and he cut the kids leg off. The victim later joined this forum under the name "5toes".

Comment

i would^

Comment

I wouldnt reccomend taking off that resonator. Its a world of a difference.

I had the same problem, that resonator was rotted out on my stock cat back. Had the whole cat back repalced with just strait pipe to a dynomax super turbo. So right now its just the Cat and the super turbo.

At first it was very quiet, then in broke in and now its pretty loud, alot of rasp around 2k rpm. Pretty bad highway drone.

Need to have a resonator welded in.
              1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
              1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
              1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
              1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

+1 to above. I went through the same exact thing (WAY TOO LOUD for the freeway + really raspy over 2k). I plan on just going back to stock.
                -Pierre
                1987 535is
                1988 325is

Comment

Okay well my resonator is junk, could anyone point me to a good aftermarket one?

Comment

Any universal type resonator will work, just ensure the piping size is compatible to your current exhaust.

Comment

2.25 inch or 2" 1/4 . Is the stock m42 diameter
                      1985 325e M50TU(Sold)

Comment

I'm running a 2.5 flex pipe after the o2. Into a 30in glass pack from magnaflow ino a y pipe. Then into a e36 m3 muffler. Nice and quiet yet has a nice tone when you punch it. I was weary at first of te 2.5 being to loud. But with it on its super fucking nice and I love it.
                        Originally posted by Good & Tight
                        It takes real man to mount a big woman, all you haters are just scared boys.

Comment

Got a new stock resornator, and ordered a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler -17731. What would be a reasonable price for a exhaust shop to weld those babies on?

Comment

I payed $250 to have this put on, a bit more then I wanted to pay...but it was VERY good work!
                            (Quads in Narragansett RI)
                            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)

Comment

Working...
                            X