Any opinions on my bargain exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any opinions on my bargain exhaust?

For a brief rundown, I purchased this car close to a year ago, when everything was (and still is) completely stock. While it was in great shape, the previous owner communicated that the exhaust needed some work. At this point, the muffler is almost completely rusted through, giving a very distinct sound, which is like an odd combination of a lawnmower/rocket. While some might be going for this style, I, for one, am not a fan.

Being a student and only working part time, extra money is something that I do not experience often. While I would love a Remus, Billy Boat, or even IE exhaust, they aren't quite realistic goals for the moment, and my need for a new muffler is quite urgent. With a budget of around $300, I set off on a journey of research.

So after a bit of reading through and feeling sad about my lack of money, I stumbled upon the Magnaflow 14815, which had decent reviews all across the board. With a little bargain hunting, I was able to snag the 14815, along with a 10436 Magnaflow resonator, for just under $200. While the 5 day wait for shipping was close to unbearable, I somehow managed to make it. At this point, I just have to survive long enough to get it installed.

Seeing as how I am now exempt from emissions testing, I plan on throwing on a Y-pipe to my resonator where the catalytic converter currently resides. From there, a single 2.5" pipe all the way back to the muffler, where it'll be downsized to 2.25". To be honest, I am more than happy at the thought of finally getting to lop my old muffler off and get something new on there, but I'm still up for any advice, tips, or even opinions on my choice. I just want to make sure I'll be happy with my decision.

I quite don't quite plan on keeping this on permanently. For the moment, I see it as a "temporary" fix until I can afford better, which will hopefully be around this time next year.
    Last edited by MrGeekFreak; 09-20-2012, 10:16 PM.

I want to know how your car sounds, not see a picture of your muffler in plastic.
    '87 325is - Schwarz/Schwarz

Comment

I'm in the same boat and was looking at the same set up keep me posted.

Comment

I'll definitely be sure to get some pics and opinions up after the install, along with a sound/Youtube clip or two!

I'm just looking for some advice/thoughts on my plan until then.

Comment

wish i had the clearance to run a resonator
          -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
          -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
          MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
          Got Drop?? ;-)
          Originally posted by JinormusJ
          But of course
          E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

i recently made a custom exhaust with similar setup. The difference is your round is 22in and the one i used was 14 i believe. the muffler was from megan but same style of design. I did slap a high flow cat in place to keep the smell down, just in case. end result was very nice, low and deep. i did everything with 304SS mandrel. it got rid of the drone (previous setup was multiple muffler shop hack). but it's still very loud!

If i were to do it again, i would move the cat up more to free up room for a 22 in round like yours in the middle and a 24 in 1in/2out in the back.

Comment

Man, finding a shop to weld everything around here really isn't as easy as it should be.

A friend of mine hooked me up with two different shops with two different quotes/ideas, and I was just a little curious about what you guys thought.

Option 1: $150-$250 to delete my catalytic converter, put the resonator in its place, and run new pipe to the muffler.

Option 2: $100 for installation/new pipes if I can source my own aftermarket catalytic converter. $250 for the shop to sell me a new dual inlet/single outlet cat and install it all in one fell swoop.

Which sounds like a better deal to everyone here?

Comment

Ethier one sounds good, do you want to keep the cat or not.

What kind of car is this going on?
                1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

I'd delete the cat all together, but thats just me. Very curious to see how this sounds.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

it'll sound good and deep, but loud. but it all depends on piping too.

Originally posted by randomsv650 View Post
                    I'd delete the cat all together, but thats just me. Very curious to see how this sounds.

Comment

Run the resonator in place of the cat.

Post a video when you're done! I'm going to be doing the same thing this summer.

Comment

Alright!
                        I've got to wait until my next paycheck comes in, so I might look into a few more shops while I wait. I want to make sure I'm getting mandrel bends, stainless steel, and all that jazz.

Comment

mandrel and 304ss = $$

should go with TIG weld if you go that route

Leo

Originally posted by MrGeekFreak View Post
                          Alright!
                          I've got to wait until my next paycheck comes in, so I might look into a few more shops while I wait. I want to make sure I'm getting mandrel bends, stainless steel, and all that jazz.
                          Last edited by DetailAddict; 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM.

Comment

The shop that was willing to remove the catalytic converter had a schedule that really didn't agree with mine, so I brought it to the other shop (Bucky's in Auburn) yesterday.

I purchased a Magnaflow cat dual in/single out for about $150, and the mechanic, John, went to town. He let me watch the entire process, and even explained what he was doing as he did it, and answered any questions I had. In all, it took just a little more than an hour, and only cost $95 for the work done. I'm very impressed with the work, and would definitely recommend the parts, and shop.

When we first started it up, both of us were a little speechless. It sounds GREAT for what I spent, with a very deep rumble that is just a little louder than the stock system, well, whatever was left of it. I feel that without the cat, it would almost be unbearable at higher RPMs, but take it with a gain of salt.

Pictures, video, and a sound clip well be up as soon as possible!

Comment

just wait until you are done breaking it in. :)

Leo

Comment

Working...
                              X